Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Today...

After a night of broken sleep, Lukas and I awoke to barking dogs. I took the opportunity to clean Lukas's litter boxes and vacuum with a hand vac to remove excess litter from the bathroom and a corner of the bedroom before both of us returned to bed. Upon rising for the day, I readied myself for more physiotherapy, gave Lukas a cuddle and a snack, tidied the apartment and then realized my keys were missing---the entire ring!

Normally very organized and neat, I do not often misplace anything and found myself in a bit of a panic as I checked and re-checked the entire and very picked up flat. It was not until I opened my wallet that I spotted them. With Lukas stashed in the bedroom, I rolled to the front door just as the wheelchair taxi parked and after the strap down, we soon found ourselves in lunchtime traffic.

The roadway from my community is a main artery between the north and south parts of my city and the further south one travels, the number of lanes decrease until there is but one lane each direction. With a veritable sea of retail establishments, restaurants and assorted businesses on either side of the street, there are also numerous lights to contend with, as well as stop and go which worsens with what is commonly referred to as rush hour.

I watched the whole scene rather dispassionately, remembering what it felt like when I was behind the wheel and how happy I was to finally, after being rear-ended and left with a chronic back issue, to sell the car and trade the License for a State ID. On average, since 2004, I've seen a physiotherapist every two years for this problem. Added to my original disability and several other chronic diagnoses, and as I get older, balancing and caring for myself takes precedence over other things. My misalignment has been corrected three times this go round and the physio wizard is teaching me a few better ways to move about with an eye toward relieving or preventing strain. Core strength is also important and always, it seems, where I fall short, no matter what I do.

We shall see how it all ends up soon. Another ice pack and an early night fill the bill for now.

8 comments:

Live and Learn said...

Chronic pain is no fun. I hope you get relief soon. Sending positive thoughts your way.

Wisewebwoman said...

Your days can be a challenge for sure, I do hope your physio sorts it out for you. My minor challenge at the moment is an ongoing issue with my arm, stemming from the shoulder/neck which comes and goes, more repetitive strain. I was chatting with a friend feeling small (he just had major liver surgery) and since I've know him a long time I said this to him and he got sharp with me and said everything is real to you, stop minimizing, your pain is equal to mine! Took me aback but he's right. None of us get a free pass, but I suppose some are freer than others.

You and Lukas seem to be a fine team :)

XO
WWW

LL Cool Joe said...

Driving is becoming more and more stressful. I'm glad you found your keys.

37paddington said...

You inspire me, e.

Anonymous said...

Chronic pain must be exhausting. I'm sorry you deal with that. Healing thoughts sent your way. I hope today is a good one for you.

Nathalie said...

I'm glad you found your keys and that PT is helping. Good luck strengthening your core. It sounds challenging but it would be such a help.

Steve Reed said...

Thank goodness your keys turned up!

jenny_o said...

Physio people really are good at what they do. Improvements can be slow at first, but it takes time to realign the body and strengthen the supporting/opposing muscles. I expect you know these things already, since you've been to them before. I was amazed by what PTs did for me .