If you've ever seen the film, Groundhog Day, you've a pretty good grasp of life here at the moment. After hauling out three bags of trash on Monday, my low back was a wee bit unhappy until ice was assiduously applied. Today, two boxes and a small package containing food and litter for Lukas were maneuvered into the doorway and pushed inside. Once unpacked, the boxes were cut down and taken to our community recycle bins. Then, I also cleaned out the litter boxes, his bowls and our refrigerator and disposed of the household refuse before drying and putting away the dishes from last night. My sleeping and eating schedules have been unusual to say the least as I found myself fully awake and hungry at 3AM.
I actually fixed and ate an entire frozen skillet meal of vegetables, rice and chicken, and washed the dishes before returning to sleep. A couple of hours ago, I had a late lunch of two poached eggs on toast with steamed spinach and a slice of Gouda cheese. Last night, rather than spend $15 for a sandwich and a cookie, I enjoyed a third and final meal of vegetable korma and rice from the weekend. While the fresh groceries are now thinned, the freezer will see me through to next week, as will the pantry.
The cat has been re-stocked with his favorites and though he is definite in his preferences for rabbit, salmon and beef cat food, he is a sloppy eater and one who sometimes leaves a bit behind for later. I wonder whether he worries that food and feeding will once again become inconsistent in his life. He also likes to lick plastic. As long as he does not try to eat it, I can put up with his version of feline quirkiness. He certainly and very gamely puts up with mine.
Apart from food for the furry one and me, I've spent $19 on a pair of pajama bottoms, mostly because I need to wear loose fitting pants to PT and my one pair of sweat pants gave up the ghost months ago. No additional clothing purchases are planned unless something else dies. Cab fare and co-pays to the DPT now total $260. A small pillow to place between my knees when side sleeping was $8.00. Doing this takes pressure off the back and it is easier to use than a full length body pillow. It is also something I can keep for years, providing Lukas does not steal it.
As I use Medicare, the most recent plans and schemes of our so-called leadership which involve gutting this as well as Medicaid and other safety programs, leaves me beyond horrified. There are no other affordable insurance options for me, even with Obamacare. When I last had private insurance, the company wanted $925 per month for me, and no other company would even talk to me, even with an insurance agent. Why? Because of my original disability which dates from birth. That also renders me unable to apply for any long term care insurance. If Medicare as we know it is gutted, there will be many who will suffer and some who will die.
Welcome to the wealthiest and most greedy country on the planet.
11 comments:
It is truly shocking what is happening with healthcare in your country. Our national health service is also being threatened by the greedy billionaires who seem to want to take over the planet. What is wrong with us that we are voting for evil people like this to run us? I didn't but isn't it horrifying that so many did.
I agree with the need to support Medicare, for sure. Fingers crossed! Do you think the provisions in the Affordable Care Act would help you get private insurance at a more affordable rate now? (I'm assuming you last had private insurance before "Obamacare.")
The current administration has quietly cut protections in the Affordable Care Act so that it hasn't now become beyond the financial reach of many. Our nation is being run by some evil men.
Florida is also one of the states suing the federal government for not ending the ACA already, arguing that by getting rid of the individual mandate, the ACA is now unconstitutional or some nonsense like this. I'm so sorry you're in such a tight spot with medical insurance. It's absolutely ridiculous that people are asked to pay so much not only in premiums but also in medical costs. I'm not a fan of the whole industry to be honest. It doesn't help that I read an article last night (can't remember where now!) that stated that 50 to 80% of doctors order tests and procedures that are absolutely unnecessary. The article focused on the many procedures that older people at the end of their life have endured for no good reason since most of the time they won't improve or prolong their lives.
I hope your back continues to improve but if you keep on carrying things like these, you might re-injure it. Is there someone that might be able to help in your community? Is there an agency that might be able to provide a volunteer to help you take the trash out, for instance? You might be laughing at my ignorance, I'm sorry.
I sleep with a pillow between my knees all the time. It really helps!
I think the short answer to that is that many people are stupid and do not see the bigger picture. Others do not care and among those who do, political parties have become corrupted by favoritism, elitism and money...
No. People with disabilities are not assessed the same premiums as others, they are always more and as a group we have less money and more costs.
Agreed!
My back problem can recur without going near a trash bag or a box, so the short answer to a complicated situation is no.I do those things because I like to be clean and picked up and to avoid having a bug problem. Sitting complicates matters for me in terms of doing things so I'm trying to determine the best ways to do the daily tasks differently if possible. You are right about the pillow.
Sounds like you and Lukas are settling in nicely together. I'm glad you found each other.
It does sadden me that the wealthiest country in the world is also the most greediest on the planet with little care for its people. Its a reminder to me that as mift as I get sometimes with our healthcare in the UK, the NHS is still progressive and I am thankful for it.
Why is it always that the highest insurance costs are demanded of those making the least money and needing the services most? It seems like adding insult to injury. In all countries we need to do better. Unfortunately, the U.S. needs it even more.
Post a Comment