Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Happy Hearts Day...

For those of you who celebrate, whether you give your heart to a child, parent, partner, friend or animal companion, a re-post from 2010. Enjoy the day.

Although not a big occasion for me, and something I find cloyingly commercialised in this country, Valentine's Day nonetheless brings back thoughts of flowers, puzzles, cards and other small gifts my mother and I would share when I was growing up. She gave me a Valentine remembrance of some kind until passing away almost twenty years ago. My favourite is a vegetarian cookbook, which she signed and dated, despite her rather constant disapproval of that choice. Another is a sterling silver spoon ring I've had since my high school days and wear often.




To say that we mixed rather like oil and water during much of my adulthood is no exaggeration; Sadly, that is a situation in which many women find themselves. Still, I can chuckle at the memory of her face as she unwrapped two heart-shaped packages, finding first the right then the left foot of a pair of slippers stuffed and decorated as giant Hershey's Kisses, a gift she eventually wore the batting out of.
They were the only slippers like that that I've seen and I cannot recall where I found them.

Please feel free to make and share good memories today.

7 comments:

Steve Reed said...

Happy Valentines Day, E!

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's day. Some of my favourite moments were when my girls would make me hand drawn cards. Those were the most precious!

e said...

Thanks and the same to you!

e said...

Thank you. I hope you saved some of those cards. I don't remember making any though in the early grades I must have.

jenny_o said...

Happy Hearts Day to you, too, e! I'm glad you have Lukas to share it with.

e said...

Meow and thanks and the same to you!

Secret Agent Woman said...

I have good memories of getting a heart-shaped box of chocolates from my grandmother every year. I do think it is an insanely commercialized holiday, though.