Wednesday, January 10, 2018

That was an experience...

Some of you may remember that I applied to a well known rescue organization to adopt an eleven-month-old cat. I asked the foster who had him from about four weeks if she thought he would be happy as an only cat and let her know that I was looking for a lovable lap cat. All his little online narrative said was that he was good with and would do well with other cats.

After several e-mails and waiting for a reply after submitting two applications, the answer came back that although the applications look great, kitty isn't best pleased as a solo animal. He has siblings to which he is attached, both of whom are highly skittish and sensitive to noise.

Would I consider adopting another cat at the same time who was not a sensitive sibling with whom he could be a companion? or we could do a trial run? or I could consider adopting two of the three siblings?

The idea of adopting two non-sibling cats who would both be adapting to me and this space simultaneously did not appeal to me at all. Having told me that he is unhappy alone also ruled out solo adoption. I could try adopting one sibling for him, but don't really want a hiding, scared cat.

Ultimately, I did something I've never done before. I suggested to this foster that she advertise him for adoption with a sibling, thanked her for her time and wished the cat(s) well. I hope he, who is supposedly outgoing and inquisitive, finds a lovely home. As an adult, he will be harder to place but that is no longer my concern. I am disappointed and a little put out to have spent days involved in something that could have been easily resolved with better online information in a matter of minutes. Evidently, this is not the adoption route for me and this episode has made me realize how fortunate I was that the animals who found and claimed me were compatible. My vet has said that this is in part due to the care they received in my home. I'm missing them all right now, a lot.



12 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am so sorry.
We adopted both Jazz and Jewel from well known rescue organisations. And both were a little lax with the truth. We and the cats adjusted, but I was put out about the additional hoops to jump over/through.
And I still ache for Jewel.
Sending hugs.

Wisewebwoman said...

I'd had a few careless ads that wasted my time but not w regardd to pets. Better to be up front as you say.

I miss my Ansa so much at times I literally break down. Alas non-person are allowed in my current domicile.

In the solidarity of pet loss.

XO
WWW

Steve Reed said...

Oh, that's a bummer. It is strange that they didn't specify he needs company. When we adopted Olga they specified that she DID need to be by herself (which I've never understood, frankly, because she's fine with other dogs). But yeah, they should have put that info in the ad.

crafty cat corner said...

It's always tricky taking on older cats, although saying that, our lot were born here but still skittish and don't like being cuddled. We love them never the less but I think the reason is that the father was feral and it has carried over in the genes.
Hope you find a friend soon.
Briony
x

The Happy Whisk said...

.
Very sorry this turned into a hot mess.
Hope you find a kitty that will work
out better and not a scared cat. Though
we have a scared dog and she is a sweet-pea.

Wishing you a groovy day. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about this. It is disappointing when we aren't given the information we need to make a decisions. Perhaps another furry little soul will find his/her way to you when the time is right.

LL Cool Joe said...

That's a shame, but I hope you find the perfect cat for you soon.

jenny_o said...

Organizations are only as good as the people within them. Perhaps they could use some training.

Our vet has a consistent flow through his office of cats who are looking for new homes. That's how we got one of ours. Vets and their staff tend to be good judges of cats' needs and abilities, I find. Might your vet be an avenue to follow up?

On These Spindrift Pages - A journal of nature, thought, and the reflective life. said...

My dear E,

I am sorry to hear that you have gone through a long process of going back and forth with the adoption centre. Even the friendliest cats find relocation a nervous experience. Some of them will probably be separated from their beloved home and owners for various reasons and put it into the protection/adoption centre where they might find very hard to adjust. I think you are wise not to adopt two non-sibling cats. Although they might get on well with one another under your loving and caring supervision. But if they didn't get on with one another, it can be quite traumatic experience for them. If they are both the same age (preferably kittens) and if they have experience of living with another cat before in their previous home, they are more likely to be friends. After my Flossie died, I didn't have a cat for seven years. I adopted Phoebe last year after a careful consideration (cats like dogs are not only for Christmas!) and she was incredibly shy and nervous when she first arrived. But she is now self-assured and such a wonderful companion. I very much hope that there is a suitable cat waiting for you and he/she will be a very lucky cat to find a kind and caring person like you!!

Have a good weekend.

37paddington said...

i hope your perfect next cat companion finds you soon. love.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I'm sorry that didn't work out. But maybe it makes room for the cat who will be a great match for you.

Nathalie said...

Awww. I'm sorry it didn't work out. I do hate it when people don't share as much information as they should upfront. I feel that rescue organizations (and shelters alike) do this so they can place as many animals as possible because they're so overwhelmed. I personally do not think shelters should be "No Kill". In my county the shelter has become No Kill. Animal Control will no longer come to remove nuisance animals because they're overrun with the animals they already have. Meanwhile, we don't have a homeless shelter for people. I love cats, but I don't think cats should come before people.

I rescued all 6 of our cats from the street. Well, our first one was being offered as a kitten at the exit of Publix, 8 years ago now. He was the lone pet for one year, and then our second cat, also a kitten at the time, crawled out of the bushes from across the street, desperately wanting human attention. Then 6 years passed by. In December 2016 I decided to give my 2 remaining children at home another cat since that was the only wish they had for Christmas. Our neighbor had just rescued a mother cat and kitten from his family's grove. I really wanted the kitten but he kept it for himself so we adopted the mother cat. She was young, about a year's old. She's the ultimate lap cat. So affectionate. 8 short months later the same neighbor knocked on my door to ask if I knew of a no-kill shelter because he had just found 2 newborn kittens in between our properties. I didn't and couldn't resist the tiny bodies as a big storm was approaching and a hawk had been scouring the neighborhood, so I made the on-the-spot decision that they were our cats. On my way to Petco to get kitten milk replacement, the neighbor called to say he had found a 3rd kitten up in the tree bordering our property (same litter) so... I took it in too. It was hard raising them by hand (I'm too old for babies!) but... we love them so much. They're all pretty much lap cats, but they have their favorite human(s). ALL of them love my 16 year-old son. I constantly find him buried under a pile of cats! They're costing us A LOT of money in care and food expenses (I have them all on the same prescription food to make things easier) but they're so worth it. They make me smile every day. I did tell the neighbor, however, not to let me know if he finds more kittens :) I did find another litter from the same stray mother up in the tree last Spring, and it was hard leaving them there but I did. During the hurricane in September, I was talking to our neighbors across the street who ended up being the ones feeding the kittens although they remained feral. They told me they got the mother spayed too. I haven't seen her or most of the kittens since so I'm thinking they fell prey to predators.