Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Learning to wait...

Have you ever decided you needed something, then zoomed to your neighborhood store in its pursuit? Perhaps you favor online shopping for convenience.  How many of these items do you use daily or weekly? Are they wants or actual needs?

To my mind, groceries are a need and must be replenished regularly. With planning, preparing food at home that can be frozen for later use and cold storage, there is not the urgency to visit the butcher, greengrocer or bakery daily. Many of us had grandparents who grew up distant from towns and only went in weekly. That meant they were likely eating what they grew or made themselves and the ability to can at home was prized. They also did not have televisions, radios or computers loaded with ads telling them what they should have for a good life.

Admittedly, our western existence has changed markedly, and along with it the ability to discern what we want from what we actually need on a given day. So acclimated have we become to simply using credit for online or in-store purchases that if statistics are to be believed, we have become a nation rolling in consumer debt. We also appear to keep bankruptcy courts very busy.

While you might equate this with an individual's inability to manage money, there is more to the scenario, including the fact that very few of us are taught the rudiments of budgeting, understanding credit or living with what we have. My eighth grade Consumer Math class did attempt some of this teaching but I've yet to meet a thirteen year-old with a good grasp of the cost of revolving credit or compounding interest. If the parents are deficient in this information or don't provide a kid a reasonable allowance with which to make some purchases of their own and thus decide what to spend, what to save and what to donate to a favorite charity or cause, the kid will not learn easily, and indoctrinated with a consumerist mindset, may never quash impulse spending or prioritize what is spent or saved.

My allowance from ten onward was one dollar per week at home with permission to look after younger neighborhood children whose parents were out, starting at age fourteen. This paid fifty percent more than the parents did for daily chores around the house. As I was polite and responsible, most people gave me a bit more as a thank you. Since my parents were not comfortable with me purchasing my own clothes or personal care items and I wasn't interested in buying a lot, my four-dollar-per-month grand total usually went in an envelope in my desk while any babysitting money was reserved for the odd movie or a day trip on a launch to a nearby island with a friend. Sometimes I would buy a bag of carrots for the horse I rode after school a couple times per week.

Sent to college with permission to buy clothing and send home the receipts for reimbursement, did I suddenly morph into a "Shop til You Drop" maven of the Mall?  Hardly. She who was born without a shopping gene preferred the racks of clothing found at the university's weekly flea market or nearby thrift stores, something which horrified my mother to the point that if she asked where a particular item of clothing came from, I'd simply do something which did not come naturally and lie. When she quit asking, our mutual relief was palpable. (To Be Continued)


16 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

Although I'm not buying any clothing this year, I am a huge fan of thrift stores. Your clothes are used after you've worn them once, so what different does it make?

Birdie said...

I just came home from doctor’s appointment that is in the same mall as our local Walmart. Since I was early I decided to walk around for a bit. In the last 10 years I have been in Walmart once, maybe twice. It was so totally overwhelming and I was dumbfounded by the amount of crap. Just crap that will be thrown out because, well, it’s crap. Shopping has never been something I enjoy and that has worked in my favour. And because I have known poverty, I have learned that most of what we think we need, we don’t. I have a friend who is single and had FIVE televisions in her home. Don’t complain about debt when you have 5 televisions!
Anyway,,lest I come across as high, mighty and judgemental I do love Amazon. Evil company! But it beats going to Walmart.

Live and Learn said...

A person's relationship with money and spending is a very personal one and varies a lot from person to person. Some who don't have much growing up continue their frugal ways into adulthood while others spend away as soon as they have money with lots of variations in between. I find the whole subject fascinating and look forward to seeing how your money habits evolved.

Anonymous said...

There seems to be a lot more 'want' than 'need' these days. I was also born without a shopping gene, particularly when it comes to clothing. I find the whole process tiring and annoying, and I have the smallest wardrobe of anyone I know! :) I only shop for clothes when I have to.

Elephant's Child said...

We were brought up believing that buying things on credit or the 'never-never' was bad. Very, very bad. If we wanted something and it cost more than we had, we did without or saved for it.
And I still do. I do now have a credit card but my minimal purchases are paid off in full each month. And, as a student I was almost entirely dressed in thrift shop/flea market fashion. And loved it.

Steve Reed said...

Ha! My mom was horrified by my thrift-shopping proclivities, too. :)

I agree that a lot of people don't learn about budgeting and responsible consuming, and many of them wind up in a lot of trouble because they lack those skills. I learned a lot of it from my parents.

EcoCatLady said...

Wow. I have heard that there are people who are horrified by the idea of used clothing, but I've never actually met one. At least I've never met anyone who was willing to say it to my face! I grew up wearing hand me downs and stuff from Goodwill. I had a brief self-financed shopping phase in high school, but it ended quickly. I went to college in a tiny town in upstate NY were there wasn't really any place to buy clothes. Plus, my parents thought paying tuition was more than enough financial support, so anything I wanted I had to pay for myself. I had a roommate who came from a wealthy family, and she literally had an entire wall filled floor to ceiling with milk crates full of Benetton sweaters (apparently that was her brand.) I remember standing there one day calculating how much money was sunk into her sweater collection. My, oh my!

e said...

Well, as far as things my mother said to my face, that was mild...Where is Ms. Benetton these days?
I had hand-me-downs from a cousin I love dearly, did not bother me in the slightest...

e said...

You were lucky...if it hadn't have been for the elders, I would not have learned...

e said...

A woman after my own heart.

e said...

I know the feeling, although today is so cold, I'm wishing for more long sleeves.

e said...

Thanks!

e said...

Yup...I have a relative with televisions all over the house. Luckily, I don't visit often...too much noise.

e said...

None that I can see, though I do buy new underwear.

EcoCatLady said...

Ha! Ms. Benetton and I have lost touch, but my bet is that she's married to a rich doctor!

jenny_o said...

I had to stop and appraise my habits of the past couple of years after I read your post and the comments, e. How I see myself and how I really am are two things that have been diverging the last while. I grew up without a lot, and frequently wore second-hand things, most coming from my friend, which felt a bit awkward. It called attention to the fact we weren't as well off as many in the small community where we lived. When I got older, there were no thrift stores that I knew of in our area, so I had a very small number of pieces of clothing and we always had to change into "house clothes" when we came home, which I still do to this day. Older still, and my husband had a good job and he encouraged me to buy expensive, well-made clothing. It made me fairly uncomfortable, to be honest. Then our financial situation changed and my daughter and I started thrifting for our clothing and we both loved it - still do. But the past few years, I've become an impulse shopper for those thrifted clothes. I think I've been trying to ignore that fact, but your post made me face it. Now I need to figure out what to do about it, and how. Part of the problem is, as you so delicately put it in your next post, my broadening backside. I keep growing out of my clothes. Well. I guess I need to decide what to do about that, too.

And as I wrote in my post last Friday, my unnamed wooden deer was an impulse purchase. Oh my. Yes, I really need to do some thinking.