Thursday, January 4, 2018
Learning to wait II
Continued from previous post...
I learned to wait, look around, ask questions, plan and then buy. My grandparents did this, and my grandmother, after observing me in a store as a nineteen-year-old, commented, "I finally have someone who knows the value of a dollar." This high praise did not fall upon deaf ears and I felt completely free of any embarrassment my mother may have had regarding my developing money habits from then on.
During my school and working years, money was always a bit of an issue since I drove an older car which broke down with such regularity that my neighborhood mechanic's shop number remained on the refrigerator next to the wall phone in the kitchen. When the car died, his sage advice to "go Japanese," saved time and money, not to mention bestowing freedom from revolving debt and interest.
My nights of shift work afforded me reading time, much of it devoted to personal finance for women. I also delved into disability history where I discovered that seventy-five percent of persons with disabilities who were qualified for work did not get hired, something that sadly remains true today. Living in a so-called "right to work" State which isn't Union-friendly and which pays below the national average for a variety of occupations made me aware that I was at least somewhat fortunate. When offered more hours, I took them. When laid off, I worked briefly in credit card collections for a financial institution. This further opened my eyes to the reality of debt and the problems people have leading to it, not all of which are caused by reckless overspending.
Several years as a freelance writer in this market meant that without at least a part-time job, my hours and earnings might be so erratic that a budget would be meaningless, so I worked part-time for a few years until a recession came. Losing clients and patience, I was hired to write in-house for a medical marketing publication, wrote a book on spec for an educational publisher in New York, then took a seasonal job scoring standardized tests.
My adventures in librarianship began in grad school. The best part of the entire experience was working in the library. Graduation and the worst "recession" this country has ever seen, along with medical issues, put paid any plans for a doctorate. I live now as a retired person, my primary mode of travel the two wheels beneath either side of a broadening backside.
My looming elder years promise to be interesting. I hope I'll be able to afford them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
It's horrible on how much it costs to live. Really is.
I hope you can afford them too.
I am fortunate enough to have a pension from my last job. Not riches, but enough. So far.
e.
So true. I have always valued the money in our pockets, this was instilled in me by my parents who worked hard and gave us good work ethic. D does not have a pension, I have one, but it won't be much as many of the jobs only lasted 4 years and have been low paid. We save these days for rainy days,but all I want right now is good health for my husband and security that we will have a roof over our heads. Jobs are never secure and there are so few that a fairly paid.
I truly wish you the best in your looming elder years x
Also wishing you a Happy New Year and hope its a kind one in every way possibe.
I hope your elder years will be interesting, but not because of money concerns. I will have a very small pension and the rest will have to depend on what my husband and I have put into our 401K plans. I think we should be okay, but it doesn't mean that I still don't worry about it.
Being a female elder in this economy is no picnic. I am paying attention to my pantry and working more skillfully with its contents too. I follow your posts with interest.
XO
WWW
It sounds as if you developed many useful transferable skills. I wish you the best in your elder years, getting older is not for wimps in any respect, as one particular elderly relative has been reminding me for about 20 years - she's now reached the age of 88 and is still doing pretty well.
The broadening backside comment made me smile with rueful agreement - I mean, mine is, too :)
I look forward to your posts on this subject, e.
P. S. And by subject, I didn't mean the backside, I meant the frugal living!!
Time to stop, now :)
My sincere hope is that our country starts the pendulum swing back in the other direction so that it matters to us to make sure everyone is okay in spite of economic downturns.
I'll be following your frugality posts with interest.
Post a Comment