Monday, December 18, 2017

Sunday Surprise...

Yesterday found me feeling a bit overstuffed from a sweet Hanukkah gathering at the home of friends the night before. They both cook, so the food is always wonderful and the latkes were homemade. With fourteen including a teen and tween, there was a lot of laughter and conversation and our hosts gifted each of us with Hanukkah tees especially for the occasion. The meal was followed by sufganiyot or fried donuts rolled in cinnamon or powdered sugar and cookies provided by one of the guests.

Earlier on Saturday, I had checked our local paper online for the obituary of my most recently departed friend, and found it. There is something about seeing a death notice in print that really says, "gone."  The brevity of facts and recitation of accomplishments or survivorship hardly do justice to the depth and breadth of the individual or one's relationship to them.

By Sunday, all I wanted was the peace of a slow day. As an introvert, I crave quiet, particularly after social gatherings, and so, slept in. An afternoon phone call found me still in pajamas as two longtime friends rang requesting a visit. Luckily, I've known them for 25 years and though we'd not seen each other in quite some time, they are so laid back that neither was offended by my attire. When asked what they'd been up to, the male of the couple responded that it was the season for Jews to play Santa. He has the bushy beard and girth for the job, and a wonderful voice for singing carols and had been the focal point of a party at a local tea room. We spent a wonderful afternoon catching up and then had an impromptu dinner of Greek take-away. As they now live forty-five minutes from here, I'm not sure when we'll see each other again but I'll be in touch.

Wishing you all a good week.


9 comments:

Live and Learn said...

Quite the social weekend for the introvert, but it sounds quite enjoyable.

Elephant's Child said...

I hear you on the necessity of down time. Alone time. Quiet time. Processing time...
And am so very glad that you had not one but two pleasant social occasions.
Hugs.

LL Cool Joe said...

Well for someone who is an introvert it sounds like you had a very action packed and sociable weekend. It's nice to see people, and then not. I think a balance is healthy. I crave time alone, but when I get too much I tend to get a bit too inward thinking and morbid.

The Happy Whisk said...

I'm part Jew and was raised with Latkes. I stopped making the Jewish pancakes long ago. Must try in air-fryer next.

Sorry to read about your friend.

Glad you got some fun time and some quiet time, too.

jenny_o said...

It's good to renew ties with those whose company we like, even if it means taking extra time afterwards for ourselves. I wouldn't want to be without my social times. The food sounds awfully good :)

Birdie said...

I’m glad you have had some good days. You deserve it. xo

Steve Reed said...

Glad you had some social time! It sounds like you've been quite busy, actually. I think your idea of writing down the positive things you see (which you mentioned in the previous post) is a good one. That's basically what I do when I blog -- with occasional complaining thrown in for good measure.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a lovely time with good friends. It's always fun to get together with people who bring us joy. And as an introvert, I totally I understand the need for quiet time after social gatherings.

Wisewebwoman said...

Boy I miss latkes. I hear you on the animal vacuum, I'm feeling it. And net neutrality: everything is more and more monetized to the point of breakage.

Jammie friends are rare. You be one of mine.

XO
WWW