That isn't the best sunset photo but it will have to do. It was snapped as I was on the way from my local produce stand to do errands the other day...
Things appear to have reached an even keel here at last. Jacob is eating, sleeping and doing all other bodily functions with greater regularity. For a creature with the equivalent age in human years of about eighty whose kidneys are failing slowly, this is important. With no less than six medications, he is comfortable and I am less anxious. Sleep has returned to this once bleary-eyed human, at least for now.
Apart from visiting the dentist, having a bit of a clear out getting bills paid off, the week has been unremarkable. The cleaner came yesterday so the flat is tip top. I'm now reading four books at once and have finished two. I would recommend Quiet, by Susan Cain.
It is chock full of interesting studies and information that helps dispel the
culturally-ingrained idea that being an introvert is less desirable or acceptable than is its counterpart. The book also explores how we, and I include myself in the introvert group, think about a range of things from our inner lives, relationships, work and money.
Because one's tendencies toward introversion begin in infancy and are present throughout the life span, parents and teachers may also benefit from this book. Among the many interesting points Cain and others make is that many people are introverts without being shy or socially anxious. While I recognize and appreciate my introversion, I am not shy and rarely experience anxiety. Those would have made my work in the professional world impossible. What I am, however, is quiet. I observe and take in and then decide if or to what degree to discuss or participate. The older I get, the more quiet around and within I desire.
As for viewing, I chose a reality series about life in the Alaskan Bush from Netflix this week because I wanted a peek at a place I will never be able to visit: the Arctic tundra. The series includes couples and singles and one large family whose mother is Inuit and who was raised in a small village near the Arctic Circle. The scenery was breathtaking and if there are any hunters among my readers, they should appreciate the numerous hunting expeditions required of a subsistence lifestyle. While I can see that living in the arctic requires stealth, independence, creativity and nerve, after listening for the umpteenth time to the remarks about independence and how people in the lower forty-eight have lost that, I started to feel like some of the folks in the series should take to a pulpit...
Happy Weekend!

18 comments:
Wow, girl. You're reading and watching some interesting things. And I love the picture. Healing wishes to Jacob.
That sunset photo is lovely. And I too am an introvert, even though I do perfectly well in social settings. But if I am too social for too long a stretch, I feel utterly depleted. I do, however, experience anxiety, but I think that's something else. And my husband loves those Alaska wilderness life shows. He might have been Inuit in his last life.
I am so glad that Jacob is doing better and consequently you are too. Long may it continue.
I too am an introvert. I can socialise. I do socialise. But need time on my own to recover.
Your television watching sounds up my alley - with the sound off.
I am so glad Jacob is doing better! Give him a scritch on his favourite skritching spot for me.
Quiet is a fabulous book. I am an introvert but can and do, talk to anyone. Social anxiety is not one of my problems, thank goodness
Beautiful picture. 💕
Great to read your post. I too am an introvert but I prefer the term Gregarious Loner. Deeply reflective. Could stare at one thing or one person for hours. The book sounds interesting.
XO
WWW
I have read the book 'Quiet' by Susan Cain and really enjoyed it. As an introvert, I'm so happy that society is finally learning about this type of personality. Once upon a time it was frowned upon and we were 'encouraged' to change.
I'm really happy to hear that Jacob is doing well and that you're catching up on sleep!
I try always to seek interesting movies, books, conversations, people...keeps the brain hopping. Thanks for your good wishes for Jacob. He says Meow, Ivy!
I think he might like this one, too...Life Below Zero...I understand the depletion issue and this is something Cain talks about...
Thank you and I too need to recover...
Thank you for the scratch on my furry belly and a happy meow to you!
Nice to see you here. You would probably like this book.
Thank you and I hope all of your home projects are going well, too.
I had heard of Quiet before but can't remember where. I have worked with introvert types who get things done more quickly and efficiently than us, the loud variety! :-)
Greetings from London.
I am glad that Jacob is stabilising...it must be such a relief to you.
I too am an introvert...and my job suited me well as a great part of it was listening to what people said and weighing up the difference between the words and the wishes underlying them.
I would like to socialise more, but Leo's health makes that difficult - so it's just as well I'm not an extrovert!
I'm glad things are relatively calm on the kitty front and that you are getting some rest.
So many of us who are drawn to each others' blogs here seem to be introverts. I am another. I do enjoy socializing with people I like, but even that requires lots of alone time afterward to replenish my energy. A familiar story :)
I like to have several books on the go at once, also! Then I can choose whatever appeals to me when I sit down to read.
I am very happy to know that Jacob is improving. And I love your photo!
I'm glad that Jacob's on an even keel now. It sounds as if you are absorbing some interesting culture. The arctic tundra wouldn't be my cup of tea, but it's always interesting seeing people living a totally different lifestyle from one's own.
I have that book on my want-to-read list. I am am introvert through-and-through. Something that sometimes baffles my extrovert husband.
Post a Comment