Monday, April 17, 2017

Still Here...


This painting has been on the outside entrance to Jacob's veterinarian's office since it was a private practice. I have no idea who painted this but it is one of the nicer features of an otherwise clinical environment. The people who staff the place more than make up for that         in warmth and dedication.

Someone asked for an update. Jacob is eating with the aid of an appetite stimulant, pooping more frequently with the aid of both a laxative and a probiotic, taking an antibiotic for a second urinary tract infection, and an anti-nausea medication as needed. He sleeps more but also has periods of wakefulness and still loves as much attention as I can lavish upon him. Riding around on my lap or playing with his cat nip toy remain enjoyable as do belly rubs, though he is slowing down, eating less and seeking more quiet time in his crate.

As for me, he routinely awakens me in the small hours  so that by late morning, both of us need a nap. My sleep patterns have gone to hell and I am often tired completing the chores needed for us to live comfortably. I too find myself more desirous of quiet.

12 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

You are keeping him safe, loved and as well as possible and he appreciates it. Thanks for the update.

Elephant's Child said...

Love that painting. And hooray for warm, supportive vetinary staff.
I am really, really pleased to hear that while Jacob is slowing down, his life is still a pleasure.
Quiet time sounds blissful.

Wisewebwoman said...

Thanks for the update E. Paving yourselves nicely by the sound of it and I do love the mural.

XO
WWW

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. I've been wondering how you're both doing! And I hope you are both getting the rest you need.

jenny_o said...

It is so comforting to have good vets and staff. Makes a world of difference. I'm glad you let us know that Jacob is hanging in there. It's hard when you can't get proper rest, though. Ah well ... somehow we do what we have to do. Take care of yourself. (Love the mural - come to think of it, I've never seen a mural I didn't like - this one softens the entryway nicely.)

Birdie said...

You are givIng him beautiful palliative care. The last stages of living for humans and cats can be a time of just slowly letting go and peaceful. He is a lucky cat. And no doubt he deserves everything you are doing for him.

Steve Reed said...

It's hard being a caretaker! Glad that Jacob is holding his own with the help of medication. You're fortunate to have a good vet!

Secret Agent Woman said...

That's a great mural on the wall. I love touches like that in office buildings. Sorry things are so rough with Jacob.

alphabet soup said...

Lovely mural - especially the cat peeking between the pickets.

Ms Soup

HBF said...

Sounds exhausting and also quite beautiful. All that lovin' is a marvelous thing <3 My best to you both!

The Happy Whisk said...

THanks for updating us. I was wondering how it was going.

Linda said...

Thank you so much for sharing this update. And the painting is beautiful!