Friday, March 31, 2017

So Tired...

Jacob and I once again made an unscheduled visit to his vet this afternoon. His constipation issues are increasing and he is now averse to the needed medication. An enema and subcutaneous fluids were administered and he is to return in two weeks. I will try newborn food as a vehicle for his meds since he will not eat it on wet cat food and our adventures with pumpkin were likewise unsuccessful. Both of us, up and down for the balance of the night, are tired. The difference is that he is now sleeping whereas his bleary-eyed human is awaiting her dinner and hoping for a nap.

When we arrived home, the first thing he did after being released from his carrier, was to jump in my lap. He wasn't angry or sulking, he never is with me. Were it not for the urgency of the situation and his health, I would feel almost guilty. I don't, though. The one hundred fifty dollars charged to my credit card is a pittance compared to a trip to the 24-hour pet hospital in the event of a blockage. I so wish his old age was less problematic for him. All I want is his comfort.

Enjoy the weekend.

 

13 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I hope you both find comfort this weekend.
Hugs.

Birdie said...

He even looks tired. I hope he picks up soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope things get better for him and I hope you managed to get some rest. Hugs to both of you.

jenny_o said...

Just as another thing to try, there are little treats available that are made to hold a pill inside. They are quite palatable for most cats. Our daughter had them for her cat a few years ago and they worked when nothing else would. There are quite a few in a package. Here's a link (and our local pet store also had them): https://www.chewy.com/greenies-pill-pockets-feline-chicken/dp/29794

Oh, e. I know the heartache of a chronically ill cat. It is like a stone in the stomach. All you can do is take it a day at a time.

Hope you can rest.

e said...

I have those for pills but the liquid medication is the issue. Thanks!

e said...

His kidneys are slowly failing, so the best I can hope for is that the fluids work and he poops and eats. Hugs appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Hi, e. I've been catching up.
It is so hard when a pet is sick. I hope Jacob is more comfortable now, and I hope you get some serious sleep soon.

On These Spindrift Pages - A journal of nature, thought, and the reflective life. said...

My dear E,

I am very sorry to hear that Jacob is a bit under the weather. I remember the days when I felt really worried about my old Flossie's well-being as he grew very frail with fewer bowel movements than normal. I used a little drizzle of olive oil on the top of his plain cooked chicken. Floss would refuse to take the olive oil but he didn't seem to mind it if it was drizzled over his chicken meat. Another thing that I tried is avocado (it varied from one cat to another. Floss didn't like pumpkin but he liked avocado) and it worked. The only thing that I could tempt his appetite was avocado meat. I am thinking of you and Jacob. I hope he gets well soon. Best wishes, ASD x

Wisewebwoman said...

Oh the poor wee boy. And tired old you. I hope you get some rest soon and that he holds out, pain free as long as possible.

He's so lucky to have you.

XO
WWW

Steve Reed said...

Awww, poor kitty. I hope he comes around.

jenny_o said...

Ahh, I see. Has your vet suggested a medicine syringe? They have a long curved plastic end so the medication can be delivered right to the back of the throat. Crikey. You will be qualified to be a vet tech soon! I don't know how we will handle pilling our third cat if she ever needs it. She is extremely bitey; I've already needed antibiotics for a bite she gave me once when the vet was examining a painful joint and I was holding her. It takes two of us to trim her claws and I am a nervous wreck every time. I hope the baby food works for you and Jacob!

The Happy Whisk said...

Poor little one looks pooped.

Linda said...

Awwww....poor, sweet angel. Give him a hug for me. Take care of yourself.