Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Praying For Poop...

Of all the things I could possibly write about, poop, or the inability to, would never have made the list but for the little sweetheart in my house, Jacob. We had an unplanned visit to his veterinarian today because like many elders, he's a bit stopped up.

Why, if he is eating well and drinking? The short answer is chronic kidney disease and dehydration combined with an equivalent human age of between eighty and eighty-five.
When he had not festooned his box appropriately in twenty-four hours, Nursey (AKA yours truly) called in and was told to bring him by, whereupon the nice lady with the stethoscope and white coat palpated, frowned, asked if we had a softener and after my answer in the negative, prescribed one.

This is perhaps to be added to his existing daily regime of appetite stimulant and laxative. After giving him subcutaneous fluids, I was told that it was fortunate to have caught this early since Jacob did not want to eat, a situation that could lead to fatty liver and is a death sentence for felines. He has eaten since our rides in the taxi and is resting. I, however, am not and hope that another chronic problem can be averted.

Poor baby...

17 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Poor baby indeed. And poor you. I know you do it out of love, but it is a worrying and stressful time.
Hugs.

Steve Reed said...

It's never easy when animals get old.

Birdie said...

i hope things get moving for him. xo
Purrs for him, hugs for you.

justjill said...

So worrying. We too have an aged cat. We watch.

Wisewebwoman said...

Animal aging I've been companion to. Many times. It teaches us so much. I know it did me. Jacob is a warrior. Like his mum.

XO
WWW

Anonymous said...

Aw, poor sweety. I do hope things get easier for him. Hugs to both of you!

e said...

I do and would do no less...He did go, now it is jest a matter of checking whether he does it on his own or needs help.

e said...

Thank you. All appreciated!

e said...

So you understand...we become their staff!

e said...

Thank you and meow!

e said...

I hope so, too and thanks for the hugs!

baili said...

I hope things go fine for little poor soul!

jenny_o said...

It seems like there's always some new thing hovering, waiting to descend, with an elderly or chronically ill animal. Or person, for that matter. Gah. I am not helping, not one bit. Sorry. Just want you to know I understand. Praying for poopies. Jacob is such a beautiful boy.

e said...

Thank you, and he has the affectionate nature to match his good looks.

Linda said...

Awwwww....poor sweetie. Bless your heart!

HBF said...

Love and hugs to both of ya-special gentle scratches for Jacob ;o)

Snowbrush said...

I wish him well. My wife, Peggy, and I have four cats, three guys and a gal, and the gal, Scully, looks much like your kitty. She is black with a white bib, white front feet, white back legs, and a long white moustache. What a joy she is. I celebrate the fact that she is but two years old because I've lost so very many wonderful pets (dogs mostly) during my 69 years.

I saw a comment about living in pain that you left on KJs blog. I do too, so that comment and the photo of your cat brought me here, it being immediately obvious that we have at least two significant things in common.