Thanks to those of you who commented on my previous post and sent hugs. All very appreciated. I'll send cards regularly, check the web site for messages and send flowers when I can.
Saturday was beautiful and much warmer than the previous days. My normal day to do errands other than food shopping, I got a haircut, picked up a waste basket for the bathroom from the dollar store and got a few cards. For those of you who may be unfamiliar, the dollar store is similar to Pound Land in the UK. The one I frequent carries household cleaners, soaps, body wash, shampoo and other items, some of which I purchased during another visit recently. Having winnowed down the food bill, filled the pantry and noted what I have in the freezer, the cleaning and household supplies were next in terms of cost evaluation and reduction, and I'll be buying most of those at the dollar store from now on as the savings will mount with time. Though I was not able to visit the florist, which was closed, I felt like what I managed was time well spent.
My back is once again bothersome despite my daily exercises, so additional massages have been keeping the pain at bay and aiding sleep. My next project will be to get out to the park before the sweltering heat arrives and enjoy some outdoor time. The resident cat is holding his own and has become a devotee of belly rubs.
Someone asked me quite candidly if I am in financial difficulty. The answer is no, and I do not wish to be. While none of us can see into the future, we have today, we have health and we have habits which must come under scrutiny. In terms of money, I've always seen myself as its steward. What that means is that I do the best I can to save and spend wisely, and as I am now into my fifties and effectively retired, that is even more important.
I do get out and enjoy things, but also like being home. As a disabled woman, I've always known that I was lucky to be educated and employed for as long as I was, even in lower paying jobs. I learned how to save and distinguish wants and needs and have always paid more for insurance than others of my age. Medicare does not cover everything, and healthcare costs will only go up. At this point, I am also caring for an animal in his final years and bear the responsibility for his veterinary care, food, medicines and maintenance. These I view as an obligation and a gift, since he has given me companionship.
My yoga is progressing slowly as I've not done it regularly for years but I'm hoping to change that. The TBR pile is receding a bit and I'm enjoying a British series about people who refurbish old historical buildings or build unusual homes. I would love to be able to design my own shipping container home.
Perhaps in the next life...
11 comments:
I too see myself as a steward to my money. Which is much better than being its slave.
I am sorry to hear that your back is again giving your grief. I hope that the treatmens continue to give you relief.
Hugs.
Sorry about your back! That is not fun. I hope you find some relief. That is great that you do not have financial difficulties. So many people have that type of stress to deal with. It's quite sad.
More people should have your attitude toward money, e.
I hope your back improves.
I agree on the money front. I don't ever want to be in a financial pinch! I haven't had debt since college -- except the mortgage on my co-op in NYC, which got paid off when it sold -- and I don't want debt anytime soon!
My dear e,
I am sorry to hear about your back pain. I hope that it will be soon be on the mend. I enjoy doing my yoga every weekend. When I was living in the city, I used to attend the yoga classes. Ever since I moved to the country, I now do my yoga by watching it online on youtube. There are various type of yoga but the one that I am interested in is called Somatic Yoga based on the teachings of Thomas Hanna. I hope you would take a look at Somatic Yoga online on youtube and you might find it interesting. Although I cannot wager that this practice works on everyone, I can tell from my own experience in the difference both mentally and physically after I have done my yoga.
The British TV series you mentioned might be, I wonder, 'The Grand Designs' which I used to watch and enjoy until I gave up my TV license so that I can read more books and enjoy a fair ration of solitude.
Jacob is a beautiful cat. He is also very lucky to have you as your companion. Every time I look at his pictures, he reminds me of my beloved Floss who also had an incredible longevity. There was no amount of kind words that could soften the blow when he died...but eventually the sadness was replaced by fond memories. We are so lucky to share their short lives in this world, and for that we must be grateful.
Please do keep up with all the good works and get well soon. I am thinking of you.
Best wishes, ASD
PS. Re: Money - Thornton Wilder in 'Hello Dolly' said: 'Money is like manure; it's not worth a thing unless it's spread around encouraging young things to grow.'
I like your attitude E. About everything. Stewardship is a good word. I've noted this. Very helpful. And eats s d needs I do sort. I can live frugally too with the odd explosion.
XO
WWW
Thank you! Hugs to you, too.
You are right on both fronts. It is especially hard on older folks and people with disabilities.
I think financial pinches come and go in life but it's the lack of understanding about saving which is getting harder to do, that gets me. Of course, some people think it's a status thing to own everything they think they want and everything we see and hear is geared to spending and consuming which is slowly killing our resources...
Oh, I do love that quote! Thanks for your good wishes and I will check out the yoga you mention on You Tube. It is always a pleasure to hear from you. So sorry about your Floss, and you're right, we are lucky to have our animal companions. Best to you.
I'd like to hear about the odd explosion...sounds like a good title for something!
Post a Comment