I've become a regular and earn a happy greeting from those who stock the bins and work the register. The fruit and vegetables, some of which come from this family-owned garden, are fresh and priced more cheaply than my local Publix, our largest grocery chain. I enjoy scouting the bins and being able to buy one of something should I choose. One can also buy eggs, milk, and a variety of other cold items. They always have displays and the aisles are easily traversed because the floor beneath the shed is concrete, so my wheels do not typically get stuck.
My favorite thing about the place other than the fact that it still exists, is the tree in the parking area. The other is a huge gourd prominently stationed at the entrance.
From here, I usually make my way to the Aldi just a couple miles up the road. I've shaved a good forty percent from my weekly spend this way and while the store is smaller and doesn't carry my cat's food, for example, the major chain I was using previously does not offer savings or a credit card with which I can save throughout the store. For this, I visit Target.
I'm always attuned to any specials or organics at Aldi and always go with a list, as I do at Target. The sticker shock I've experienced at other stores and the fact that my cat's food is now often more expensive than my own are two reasons I made this change. The other is literal change that over the last year has added up, enabling me to pay off holiday and other debt more easily. I've also developed a pantry and freezer so that what I generally buy is all fresh. Tonight, I had four frozen items, milk, peanut butter, cheese and a few other things for under $30 and my produce from the stand was $8. I paid my phone bill of $50 at Target and got some cat food and two other items for more than double what Aldi cost. I'm still trying to figure out how to lower my phone bill and broadband cost but so far, no luck. I've always been frugal from necessity. Now, it has become ingrained.
My weakness has always been books. I've gotten rid of a lot of these and now read from a Kindle on to which I can download books from my local library system, a habit I've gotten away from in favor of buying from Amazon. Since my Kindle now holds almost two hundred books, I'm instituting a buying fast until all are read. This won't prevent me from using the library or creating a wishlist or digital TBR pile. Another thing I can do is utilize a small, independent used bookstore in my neighborhood. I purchased gift certificates for the holidays from there and all were appreciated and have been used. The owner uses a point system for books that are bought and then brought back once they have been read so that avid readers can keep books circulating and come back for more and the minimalist in me appreciates the re-cycling aspect of this.
Happy week, everyone!


26 comments:
That's a great tree and a disturbing gourd!
I like the book-recycling idea, too. It's so great when people can keep books moving.
The gourd looks huge and beautiful. When I was a kid we used to raise Hubbard Squash on the farm that could weigh as much as 100 lbs. It would take both my brother and myself working together to load them into the wheelbarrow to get them to the fruit room to store for winter. Mom would ask me to get a chunk for dinner and I would use a small axe to chop off a hunk. That was early 1960s, a very long time ago.
Great minds think alike!
Wow...Have you got any photos of the biggest? Great childhood memory. Thanks for visiting!
LOVE that tree and the gourd.
Books (and plants) are big weaknesses of mine. Big, big weaknesses. I too am declaring a moratorium until my unread towers are reduced. And recycle books when I can.
I wish you luck with the book re-cycling. Hugs!
I tried to do something similar to what you're doing with your books. Hasn't really worked. The amount has doubled! :-)
Greetings from London.
Wow, that tree! It is so beautiful.
Books are my weakness, too, although I am able to donate many of them when the house starts to feel cluttered, which doesn't take long. That's the minimalist in me!
Love that magnificent tree. Sorry to hear about night noise. It can drive one insane.
Books and groceries and recycling. Yes! 😁✨
Lovely that you are out and about again.
XO
WWW
Greetings to you! As a writer, reader and librarian, I cannot say with with a straight face that I am sorry you have so many books. That is more a problem of good fortune, until you run out of space...
In the conflict between the inner minimalist and the bibliophile, your minimalist wins out...wow! I hope all goes well in your new city.
Thank you! How are you doing?
Have you ever ordered from Abebooks.com? I get most of my books through them.
Do you have Cricket near you? We switched our mobile phones to them and WOW on the savings.
Love the pictures. And I love my local Aldi. I buy their fresh produce picks and a few organic items as well as my almonds. Love my store. Love it.
My first stop would be the produce stand too. I love places like that, and the oak tree would be an added bonus.
Man, you guys grow BIG STUFF in Florida!
And I hear you on the cat food. Our cats eat better than we do.
I am familiar with them. They're owned by Amazon.
I'll check on Cricket. Thanks for the heads up!
Thanks. They always have a good selection and that tree is beautiful!
I am in a reading phase lately and I love it :) books are my happy place. I imagine that tree has many a story to tell...
What a gorgeous tree.
I am on a reading kick right now and need to look into downloading books from the library.
Cricket Wireless. Though dealing with them on the phone has not been as good as when I just went in. Also, I asked if the activation fee could be waived and they said yes. Not sure if this is a good fit for you or not, or if it's in your area. We pay 70 for both phones, and that includes all fees.
Books are also a weakness of mine tooo!
http://lucyandtherunaways.blogspot.com.au/
As someone once said, "I eat rice and beans to be able to afford my cat." They are so worth it.
Probably so...What are you reading?
It is a great way to avoid cluttering up your bookshelves and you avoid overdue fines.
Post a Comment