Monday, February 27, 2017

Sleepless In...

Not to steal the title of a Meg Ryan film or anything but between my cat and the dog upstairs whose barking has escalated to early-morning as in 4 AM howling, sleep is not something I'm doing regularly. The whole sleep thing was iffy in the first place given the hot flashes and night sweats women at a certain point in life must face. Since I'm not inclined to used potentially cancer-causing creams and my doctor doesn't do the bio-identical plant-based hormone thing, the quest for a new doctor has taken a backseat to three weeks of upper respiratory hell, chest congestion and bronchitis, all of which are now on the wane. No sleep, no function, and every little thing becomes a chore. I'm proud the cat and I get fed regularly and that I can get the garbage out, shower and consume something as basic as soup.

The cat eventually calms and sleeps, enjoys his tummy rubs and playtime. As for the dog, I've no clue and her owner doesn't seem to notice or care. I do know that dogs can be trained not to bark and that there are techniques for dealing with upset canines but such knowledge appears lost on this owner who besides leaving a trail of butts in her wake is very loud on the phone outside (my windows and doors closed) and has attempted to blame others for her smoke wafting through my vents. I guess I should be happy she hasn't burned the place down and now smokes with doors open. I keep our interactions to a minimum. She moved here at the request of her employer who owns the apartment so leaving isn't likely unless she gets fired.

Add to this the increasing cacophony from the now eight-lane road in front of our entrances and single-pain 1970's vintage windows, and there is just simply too much noise sometimes.

To fill my wakefulness, I read or watch films, the most recent being The Hundred-Foot Journey with Helen Mirren. It took three days because I could only handle short bursts. No reflection on the film or its cast, simply my short-circuiting brain.

If anyone has a nice island or a cave for rent, I'll consider it. Lack of sleep can make you fat, keep you sick or kill you...

Here's hoping for some sustained sleep.


14 comments:

Birdie said...

Melatonin and ear plugs?

jenny_o said...

You're so right, lack of sleep affects everything. I wonder why the dog owner doesn't seem to notice her dog howling at that hour. Does she work night shift, maybe? The smoke can't be good for your bronchial woes. Gah. Here's hoping something improves soon.

e said...

I've tried Melatonin without much success. I'll look for earplugs. Thanks.

Steve Reed said...

I really liked that movie! Sorry about the noise situation -- how strange that the dog is barking at that hour. I wonder if the owner isn't home at night or in early morning? It seems more likely the dog would be upset if the owner is away.

(I belatedly see that Jenny O just said the same thing...)

Glad the chest infection is on the wane, at least. That's something!

The Happy Whisk said...

Ack on the lack of sleep. Really effects how we heal, too. Ack!

Jenny Woolf said...

Lack of sleep can be almost painful. I concur with the idea of earplugs. They can help but a barking dog is a real nuisance. I am sorry for it, because it's only an animal and it's clear its owner doesn't care. I hope you get more rest soon.

e said...

Yes...the dog usually barks or cries when her owner is away.

e said...

Thank you. Today was quiet!

Secret Agent Woman said...

Have you spoken with the person about their dog? That's insane. I hope the dog quiets down soon and you get some rest.

Anonymous said...

Lack of sleep is very disturbing in every which way. It sounds like you've got a very inconsiderate upstairs neighbour. Some people forget that they're not alone in this world.

e said...

Thanks SAW and Martha. Unfortunately, now, my cat is also keeping my awake as he is agitated by his appetite stimulant. I hope she won't complain about his howling...he does calm down and eventually sleeps so it is not all night nor is it prolonged but it leaves me awake...

LL Cool Joe said...

I loved that film, I thought it was a bit different.

I average about 4 to 6 hours of sleep a night, and always wear ear plugs. It doesn't block out all the noise but it helps!

e said...

You're right about that film, and I'll be looking for some earplugs at the weekend. Any you prefer?

Toni said...

I had years of not being able to sleep. My doctor advised powdered Magnesium mixed with warm water just before bed and to memorize a long poem, prayer or mantra.

It works! The monotony of repeating the same phrase distracts the mind and the magnesium relaxes muscles.

The people next door love to smoke right next to the fence when a west wind is blowing. The smell fills our patio and house. I just bought a couple of Scentsy warmers and use Amazon Rain or Sedona Sunset scents in them. Works well.