Sunday, January 1, 2017

2017 and New Year Tradition...

My first dinner of 2017 has been collard greens, fresh chopped tomato, rice and black-eyed peas, otherwise known as Hoppin' John.

     
 
In other adventures, a friend and I went to a nearby park today to try out my new off-road chair. Built by MIT grads in a Boston company, the Freedom Chair is meant for uneven terrain, beaches, woods, snow and places traditional hand rim chairs do not venture well. As with any mobility device, there are and were hiccups. The turning radius is larger than normal and the tube is a bit heavier. One of the hand brakes unexpectedly broke off as I was navigating a board walk, so I'll be speaking with the engineer for the product this week.
 
All things considered, however, an interesting ride on a beautiful day with a friend at a favorite park. I hope it was a good one for all of you as well.


10 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

How wonderful to have the potential to have your boundaries extended. Yay. And I do hope the engineer can fix those hiccups.
My first meal of the year was fruit salad. Home made with well over a dozen types of fruit. Bliss.

Linda said...

That sounds delicious! :)

jenny_o said...

I echo Elephant's Child on the potential for going new places - that is grand, or will be when the problems are fixed.

Your New Year's Day meal sounds healthy and satisfying. I've been inhaling cookies and will pay for it, I know.

the walking man said...

Did you actually count out and eat 365 black eye peas? e it sounds like you may have found the NASA of chairs once they get the bugs out! Safe travels.

Anonymous said...

I hope all the hiccups are taken care of and your new wheels take you on some adventures!

Steve Reed said...

I love Hoppin' John. I didn't realize you were testing a new chair at the park. Cool! Too bad about the hand brake, but maybe the engineers can refine some of the difficulties.

Jenny Woolf said...

Wow, Hoppin John looks good. I have never tried it. I don't think you can even get collard greens here in England. I've tried them in Florida though and they are great! Happy new year and I'm glad you had a good day.

tut-tut said...

I bought collards with the very best of intentions, but they remain uncooked, in the vegetable drawer . . .

Secret Agent Woman said...

Cool chair - it's great that they are putting effort into developing wheelchairs that are more adaptible to a variety of situations.

I make Hoppin John every year, too. This year's had black eyed peas, wild rice, red bell peppers and veggie sausage. Instead of collards (which I loathe), I made a mixed greens salad.

HBF said...

Yum! Happy New Year and glad you had a fun excursion in the new chair :o)