I spoke with the second vet at Jacob's practice this afternoon, and learned that they want to see him prior to the antibiotic running out as there is a good chance he may need a repeat prescription to avoid recurrence of his UTI. Furthermore, the weight loss, constipation, changes in appetite, urination and water consumption all point to age-related changes in his kidney function. He is to remain on the laxative powder. Until further testing is completed, I will not know whether he in fact does have first stage renal disease. With these symptoms, however, the likelihood is strong and we will once again be attempting various brands of prescription kidney foods for him.
I spent some time arranging a taxi ride for him which if all goes smoothly, will happen early tomorrow, Friday at the latest. In the meantime, he has completed all daily ablutions, and is happily on my lap after eating. The laxative has been a success, a small victory in keeping my devoted elderly friend comfortable today.
Happy Holidays!
21 comments:
Small victory is a wonderful thing. Glad he's on your lap eating.
Heal up little buddy.
My own human experience of having reoccurring UTI's and repeating antibiotics that didn't work brought me to Uva Ursi. I had been on antibiotics 6 times in 2 years and they did nothing. Uva Ursi wiped it out in one shot and I have had one since. I wonder if it would work on cats? It's worth looking into. 😉
A victory, even a small on, is always a great thing! I hope he continues to improve.
Thank you, I think so too!
I will. Thanks!
From your mouth to God's ear, as the saying goes. Thanks for your good wishes!
I so hope that he continues this uphill trajectory. And love that he is on your lap.
Hugs. For you both.
We should know something late tomorrow but both vets feel that renal disease is likely. Hugs to you.
How's he doing today?
He was dismayed to be going to the vet at 7:30 AM, but only mildly...I'm almost sure he'll get hostile when he realizes where he is once they start trying to handle him. He hates the vet's office but fortunately, they are very nice and gentle. I won't know more till this evening but thanks for asking and I'll let you know.
Any uphill step is a good thing! Sending you much love and warm hugs...and having him on your lap is fantastic!
Ahh ... it's so hard to have an elderly pet with health issues. So very hard. I hope your boy is with you for a good while yet. There is much the vets can do these days. The mental image of your kitty having washed and settled in your lap is a comforting one.
Happy holidays to you and the kitty!
Happy Christmas to you e and your furry friend.
x
I think so. Thanks for your interest!
Comforting for me as well. Happy Christmas!
Thanks and wishing you the same!
Thank you so much, it means a lot and I wish you and D a wonderful day and year!
You are doing your best for your friend...and I am sure he knows it.
Glad the vet takes good care of him. Sounds like they are kind. Always a bonus.
You're doing so much for him,I'm glad he's comfortable.
Post a Comment