A wonderful friend and I drove south today to visit a bird preserve both of us were curious about. Located close to Anna Maria Island and flanked by a busy highway and some homes, it was nonetheless uncrowded and quiet. Though I had been told prior to our trip that it was accessible, I once again encountered a lack of understanding about what that actually means. Though the pathways were paved with ground shells and stones, the going was very bumpy and in places it was very easy to become stuck in loose sand and ruts. I was also led to believe a boardwalk existed when there was none, though it was a beautiful place for the bi-pedal to amble.
We spied water fowl of various types and there is an ongoing project to introduce tortoises into this preserve as well and signage urging bicyclists to park and walk, complete with racks for bikes. Nothing was noted about wheelchairs and although mine isn't specifically designed for outdoor use, I gave it my all and enjoyed the parts that I could travel without a push so that my friend was free to use both her binoculars and phone camera. Below is a photo of me today and another of me just after getting my chair in 2009.
Until Next Time..
11 comments:
Happy for you that you were out and about. Boy the challenges for less able bodied are immense. Since my circulatory problems I'm becoming so much more aware of them.
XO
WWW
I am glad that you could enjoy some at least of it. Sigh on the 'partially accessible' front. Which strikes me as a 'little bit pregnant'.
Indeed so, unfortunately. It was wonderful to get outside without cars and too many people. I hope your problems improve on all fronts.
Exactly, and I'm laughing because as we both know often half measures avail us nothing...I hope you are having a good day!
Sounds like a lovely day. How nice that got out and enjoyed a beautiful day!
It's great that you had an outing! Which park was it? I wonder if I've been there...? I'll be staying near there in December at Dave's parents' in Cortez and maybe we could go check it out.
Perico Preserve...
Excellent.
Thanks and yeah, it was!
I am so glad you were able to get out and enjoy yourself. I used to work as a receptionist in the late 70's to early 80's at an organization for disabled children and I learned back then how many hurdles there are for disabled people. It is 2016 and still, Montreal does not have wheelchair access at all the metro stations, only some. And when I see buildings with stairs, even one stair, and no ramps, I know that it is not accessible for the disabled. We still have a very long way to go.
Even here, with the ADA, there are lots of obstacles, and you're right about having a long way to go. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Post a Comment