My upstairs neighbors have changed in the last few months and my oldest neighbor moved to an assisted living community in another state. I am now the only owner in my building in a community that is now more than fifty percent rentals. The neighbor above me, though a bit nosey, is otherwise fine except for one filthy habit: she smokes in her apartment and my unit is now starting to smell. While I do not see plumes of smoke in the air, the odor alone is bothersome and I've noticed a cough where there was none before her arrival.
I've looked online and tried both baking soda and vinegar which are supposed to absorb odors and I do have an air purifier in my front room, but the odor lingers. Having grown up in a family of smokers, nearly all of whom died of either heart disease or cancers, I am very familiar with the fact that this smell leaches into walls, clothing, furniture and anything else in its path.
I'm beginning to think moving might be my only option...Any other suggestions?
18 comments:
Smoke is such a pervasive smell. I wonder whether your local fire brigade has any suggestions?
There are paints which are resistant but a complete paint job is, like moving, a last resort.
Sadly the smell, while bad, is only a symptom of the health risks so you don't want to just 'mask it'.
I can't think of a single thing that would make a difference. The smell of smoke gets into everything.
Is she even allowed to smoke inside? Most rental units forbid it.
Sorry you are having to deal with this. Cigarette smoke is one of my greatest pet peeves. God forbid if you say anything. Even my beloved mom would get pissy if I brought up the smell. Keep us posted. xo
Seems to me that is an awful lot of smoking to have seeped into your home in so short a time. I bet the tenant is smoking with all the windows closed and it now is circulating through the entire building. Sounds like a landlord issue to me.
Hi!! Thanks for stopping by at my place and saying hi.
My parents were smokers too and that made me a hearty hater of smokers. Absolutely no tolerance. Freakin' disgusting habit. I used to golf, and idiots love to smoke their stogies on the links...you could smell one of those filthy trash fires from two miles away. I should stop ranting. But I feel your pain with your neighbor. -Mac
Do you share any ventilation or other openings with the upstairs unit that you can seal off? Seems like there might be a way to better insulate your unit from the smell, though I'm not sure how much it would cost.
I've heard that burning candles can help but I don't know if that just masks the smell, the danger must remain. I don't think you can reasonably ask her not to smoke in the privacy of her own apartment. In your shoes I might be considering moving, perhaps not right away, but perhaps in the not too distant future. If she is only renting, she might plan to move out quite soon. Maybe you can get to know her and tactfully find out?
I have no tips but certainly pity and hope that you can expunge the odor, sounds awful!
Here's my contribution, which relies on you having an extractor fan in your kitchen, prompted by a newspaper article I read today. One resident in one of the new, tiny apartments being built here often leaves his extractor fan on overnight to counter the smell of smoking neighbours.
Alphie
She's a renter and you own, can you talk to the landlords to have you moved to another unit? Otherwise, I'm not with any suggestions. This is one that would make me move, as well.
I used to be a smoker and I quit just because I didn't enjoy it anymore. Now the smell bothers me so much it makes me sick. It's funny how that is. Just make sure to open windows to circulate air and keep that air purifier on! Nice blog by the way :-)
Checked and...nope!
She rents from the old man she works for and he doesn't care because he does not live there.
Yes, which is why the odor and sealing them off means no venting for me, so not practical...
She will stay as long as the old man she works for and his wife are still breathing since they own the apartment but reside elsewhere...
I don't have one of those but will look into it, thanks!
Nope...these are all owned and most owners rent their units out...
We are having bad weather, so windows are closed, and I would need an air cleaner in every room...Thanks for visiting.
Post a Comment