Saturday, July 30, 2016

Fifty-Seven...

 

 

Fifty-seven years ago this week, a twenty-year-old woman, soon to be divorced, was packing to leave her sad excuse of a husband. She had been to her OBGYN earlier that day for her seven month prenatal visit and the doctor had cleared her for the drive she planned to make from South Carolina to Florida, where she planned to stay with her grandmother.

Told that her pregnancy was progressing normally, she looked forward to leaving and having time to settle before her late October due date. As evening lengthened, she began to feel something wasn't right, and by the time she had reached a friend who drove her to the hospital on a nearby Air Force base, labour had begun.

Steps were taken to halt its progress, including she would later claim, being given something that knocked her out. Upon reaching consciousness early on the morning of August 4, she learned that a daughter had been born. Doctors were not optimistic about the newborn's chances of survival and her young mother was afraid of the loss of this, her second daughter, in just under a year...

That young woman was my mother and I think about her a lot this time of year. She is no longer living and our relationship was complicated at best.  I have cheated death on more than one occasion, so birthdays hold a special significance for me. I have learned to be humbly grateful for friends, time and the myriad other things that fill my life.

As I celebrate this week I'll also pause to remember some special folks I've met through blogging. Thanks for all of your kind remarks and concern regarding my back issue. It is what it is, as the saying goes. Be well.

Until Next Time...

            

19 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Happy birthday.
Heartfelt hugs and oceans of caring.
Those complex relationships can haunt us can't they?

37paddington said...

Happy birthday! You are meant to be here. Sending love.

Birdie said...

.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ BIRTHDAY ★
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ¥☆★☆★☆¥ ★☆

the walking man said...

Well then I surmise a birthday wish is in order eh? May the anniversary of your birth be the best day of the year just passed and he worst day of the year ahead. e you are finding a center ground, it is a good place to be.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! You have remarkable stories to share. I'm so pleased to have met you. It's truly an honour.

The Happy Whisk said...

That was well-told and all your blog posts are. And what a great story and reason to have birthdays be extra special. Thanks for sharing and Happy Birthday.

Wisewebwoman said...

So incredibly moved by this E. How terribly young your mother was and how troubled in her marriage. It leaves me wanting to know more. Did she move to her grandmother's?
Happy birthday my virtual friend! You have enhanced my life!
XO
WWW

e said...

They do, but they may be surmounted as well. Hugs to you, too.

e said...

Thank you. Best to you as well and I hope you enjoyed your trip!

e said...

What a cool design!!! Thank you so much!!!

e said...

Thank you, Mark, you're right about center ground and thank you for all of your comments!

e said...

What a nice compliment. I hope to live up to such praise. You're pretty remarkable yourself and thank you!

e said...

Dear Ms. Whisk, thank you.Your kindness in reading is appreciated. Best to you!

e said...

You know, I feel the same about you! Thanks for the birthday wishes and I'll be about writing the rest of this story when things calm a bit here. Thank you for your interest and support!

HBF said...

Happy Birthday e! What a story! You got some fight! Wish I could do a cool design like Birdie but you can just imagine me doing sparkler fingers :o)

e said...

Thank you, sweet Hannah!

Secret Agent Woman said...

How frightening for your mother and how wise of you to stay mindful of the gift of time and friends and birthdays. A very happy birthday to you!

The Happy Whisk said...

Stopped in to say howdy.

Howdy!

Jenny Woolf said...

Happy birthday! (I am sorry it's belated, I haven't been at the computer much lately) How strange it must feel to you to think that the baby was you. It is clear you are a survivor! I hope the pain issues improve a lot very soon.