Have any of you ever been under the gun to produce a piece of writing and simply felt a writer's version of tongue-tied? That is me today. It isn't that I've nothing to say on the subject, just the opposite. I feel as though I could write a lot if only I knew where to start...
I was on a bus last week and overheard two teens discussing what turned out to be the author Charles Dodgson better known as Lewis Carroll. His books, it seemed were completely secondary to their pre-occupation with his oft-discussed liking of girls. One of the pair referred to him as a "perv" while the other strenuously objected, saying Alice had to have been modeled on someone and if it was a niece or daughter then there was nothing nasty involved...Up flipped the laptop while two pairs of eyes searched Google as the bus lurched to a stop. Turns out there was a wager involved. Neither was completely satisfied, so it was split. I was amused and thought, "Gee, I wonder what Jenny Woolf would say about this?" It was odd because teens these days don't as a matter of routine read Carroll. I wanted to ask, but was not close enough to do so politely.
I have a new reader who is a wonder in her kitchen and whose blog, The Happy Whisk, I enjoy as much for her culinary efforts as her humor. Ms. Whisk, if you are reading this, I've taken your advice to heart and this week produced the fluffiest, unburnt and totally wonderful omelette. I enjoyed every bite. Thank you for reminding me that cooking can be fun.
Happy Weekend!
14 comments:
The Happy Whisk does make cooking fun! I am not a great fan of it but I would love to see her make a cookbook. I would buy it for sure!
The Happy Whisk is a multi-facetted wonder. A cleaning, decluttering, cooking, running machine. With humour added.
I believe that the jury is still out on Charles Dodgson. And wonder, but am also grateful for his work.
I think more kids read Carroll than you might expect. It gets checked out quite frequently from our library! Of course, far more of them know the sanitized Disney version.
When I was a reporter and I had to write, I'd just sit and start typing -- ANYTHING. Usually I could work out the story pretty quickly if I could just get moving. Same goes for blog posts!
Thank you, Birdie.
I did indeed read this and like with all your posts, I find you a great writer. Thank you for your nice comments and I love that you cooked something and enjoyed every bite. That's the good stuff.
Thanks again, Cookie. You made my day.
Ms. Whisk is the best. She's fun and funny and an all around wonderful person. I refer to her as 'Wonder Woman'.
The kids these days surprise me with what they are reading. It is a good thing!
Yay and congrats on your wunder-omelette!
Thanks, though it is not a blog post. I'm going to see if I can find Jenny's book.
You sometimes make my day, too! Your garden is going to look great with all the new plants.
I think you're right! You are pretty cool yourself.
I definitely smile when I see young people reading :) gives me lots of hope for our future!
Writers' Block. An old friend. I can run on and on with its counterpart Writers' Diarrhea until all is hopelessly jumbled and tangled. A walk away and return is in order. Good luck. And I did see.dont know where. Some rather creepy photos of naked female children taken by Lewis which rested my case. Daughters of friends.
XO
WWW
At least they are reading and debating. Although an odd topic to choose.
Thanks, e.
This week was spent mostly on demo but if we get home early enough tonight (we're at Barnes now), then we will get some outside time as well.
Post a Comment