Having begun a job in my city two weeks prior to this, I came home from work on a rainy evening to an answering machine laden with bad news and was reeling from shock when her brother called to say he was on his way to me from another state and that I should pack a bag and await his arrival. The next few hours and days remain a blur, even now.
The complicated relationship my mother and I shared is one all too common amongst mothers and daughters though it often takes a bit of courage to untangle and write about. While I know she loved me, her need of control, security and to be right overshadowed whatever tenderness she felt and while she prized good behavior, obedience and good manners, her elegant public decorum, sarcastic sense of humor, beauty and charm were often lost to private anger or rage which I've touched on only briefly in other posts.
Years of searching for answers has lead to speculation as to why this was so. What I do know however is that she refused to see a mental health professional with me when the subject was broached, adamantly denied she was dying in the face of mounting evidence, brooked no conversation whatsoever of end of life care or personal matters and then demanded forgiveness for "a lot of mistakes."
Her end-of-life belligerence was based in fear, as had been many of her life's decisions, a situation over which I had no control. I remember pausing, taking a breath and thinking," I must take the high road here and accept this," something which though painful, I've never regretted doing. This was, after all, the woman who brought me into the world, fought tooth and nail to provide education and independence for us both, and who, along with her mother, modeled the life of a working woman which I was expected to follow.
A smoker since her earliest adolescence, this and other less than wonderful habits caught up with her in the last fifteen months of her life resulting in a devastating diagnosis. I hope she is finally at peace. Her name was Sarah.
Until Next Time...

20 comments:
This resonates more than I can say.
And my heart aches with and for you. And with and for myself.
Hugs.
No one chooses their parents and no parent (until recently) goes to class to learn "how" to raise children. I had many of the same issues with my father as you did with your mother--*meh* in my life once I was out, I rarely went back and every time I did I could see the deterioration of his health. I was there at his final breath and it was this voice he last heard in this mortal realm.
Make your peace with your mom, nothing else will allow you to have peace with your memories.
I still remember that dinner at Bennigan's with you and your mom while we were in college. She was so elegant and charming. I know this was merely her public persona, but of course I never saw her darker moments first-hand. For all her faults, I'm still impressed at her tenaciousness and her dedication to raising you.
Thank you!
A work in progress for me and you're right. Thanks for your interest.
A complicated lady, and thanks. I am too.
Sorry e :-(
PS: Another well-written piece, I might add.
I had such a beautiful relationship with my mom and am forever grateful. By biological father on the other hand... I guess I try to not think about it because it is opening way more than just a can of worms. I think he cares about me, there may be some love there, but certainly not that of a parent.
Life is beautiful because it has so many colors of relationship in it without them we can just pass the time not Live actually but incompleteness or abstraction of these colors brings flaw to life, things that are uncontrollabl should not be regret over, inside you there is love of her which makes you write about her she was really charming lady may get soul rest in peace
Oh e, you capture such complicated feelings so well here. For me, I think having Baby Bananaface stirred up even more issues between me and my mother and your post illuminated just how complex those mother-daughter relationships can be.
I have come to a place in my life where I'm trying to accept my mother for who she is while doing my best to keep myself healthy and stable, which sometimes means seeking the support, validation, and love I need elsewhere. She shows these things in her own way, but the sarcasm and distance is hard on my heart...
Anyways. Great post. I'm sorry for your loss and I admire your courage and wisdom exploring these feelings like this. Thank you for sharing <3
Hugs!
Thank you, you are not a bad writer yourself and you do way more than I could ever imagine doing in the kitchen. Hope you had a good week.
Some people are more limited in what they can give to others, and that is sadly beyond your control. I'm glad you recognize this lack and appreciate that there have been others in your life who did or do love you completely.
Dear Hannah,
I hope you find some peace and understanding of your mother before she is gone. You are doing a great job re-claiming your health, life and family and I commend you, one strong lady to another. Have a great weekend.
Sometimes it is necessary to see loved ones as the flawed human beings that they are and this is specially hard when they have shaped one's whole life. You seem to have made a good job of a difficult situation.
This is so profound. I'm sorry about your mom. Mother and daughter relationships can be so complicated. I'm sure she had a story to tell as we all do. May she rest in peace.
Thank you. That is a nice compliment and you're right, accepting people who have caused you pain is difficult but there are all sorts of painful circumstances in which people find themselves in which blame is useless...
Thanks. She had an interesting if not always happy life...
My difficult parental relationship was with my father. I would have said mum and I were very tight BUT hindsight and honesty show me she had no small part in alienating my dad and me.
She died far too young.
So very sorry to hear about you and your mother. Have you read My Mother Myself?
It enlightened me many years ago.
XO
WWW
I'm so sorry. I do understand the complicated mother-daughter relationship, as I have one with my own. And the sudden loss I know from my brother's drowning. I hope peace for you as well.
Thanks. The week was life-changing. Now, onto a new week.
Here's to you eating lots more yummy things.
Post a Comment