Today
The solitary practice of making tea by the cup…
A prelude to our late morning phone calls
Started when your girls were in diapers and down for naps
You always began with a joke or a funny story
Our natter quickly turning to the world beyond our doors or
Some book neither of us could put down
Your treks into the desert, telescope in hand
Looking for the perfect night’s sky, filled notebooks
Now in a box, closeted in a city apartment, far from the
landscape you adored
I sip my tea alone, the only sound
Your voice in my head
11 comments:
Poignant and beautiful.
This is absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing my dear e. You are a talented writer and poet. Your ability to paint a picture with words is just extraordinary. I shall have to go and read it once more. Best wishes, ASD
Thank you. The lost friend who inspired this was a very special person. I think she would approve.
e if i were less the recluse than I once was this would be very sad to me, but between removing myself from what I once loved to be and do and eventually becoming what I am today--a sometimes used piece of poetry in an AP English class, I have learned to not hear the sounds of a past gone now.
That's lovely, in a melancholy way.
Thank you.
lovely and lonely.
You touched my heart dear E. I'm there, was there and will be there again. It's a physical pain some days. I hear her voice in memory urging me on, reminding me of when.
Hugs
XO
WWW
Well, we all have people we miss at times and as you know, that loneliness can be surprising and powerful.
Yes. Yes. Yes. Is it possible that this reminds me of feelings yet to come? That's how it feels to me... Lovely, thank you for sharing.
Dear Hannah,
This poem was written about a friend of 35 years who died in 2014. I miss her and our daily chats and all that came before them. She was like a sister and was taken much too soon. I hope that you have a friend that you hold dear and will enjoy for many years to come.xx
Post a Comment