Last night, I attended an artist's reception at a gallery about an hour from home. I was with a friend whose watercolors were on exhibit, along with the works, in various and mixed media, of other members of an art society. Normally, I enjoy going to these types of events because one meets new artists and may get a peak into their work spaces and a chance to discuss what they like, creatively speaking, and why.
I enjoyed chatting to an older woman who had been both an art and music teacher and whose time is now spent creating works from wood cuts and etchings. She was able to explain how each was done and her work is very visually appealing. She allowed me to pick up and examine some of the wood cuts, which were highly textured, and showed me a chisel used to create that.
While I would have been equally fascinated by a few items done by other artists, my friend's running commentary about their efforts was less than flattering, though I did not notice what she referred to as "dreck." Not wanting to prolong her comments, I remained quiet. Deprived of the opportunity to look further on my own, I suggested we go to dinner at a nearby Mom'n Pop.
Upon arrival, the place was fairly full. I pulled up to the end of a table near the front door and my friend sat to one side. As we perused menus, I heard a voice from behind asking my friend if the other party was somehow bothering her. She responded by saying that she was simply staring into space, which I hadn't noticed because I was busily checking out the dinner options.
As I turned to look behind me, my friend made a big deal of saying that one of the two women and I looked a lot alike, which neither the woman nor I particularly appreciated. After some remarks from me trying to be polite to what was obviously a same-sex couple with a small child, we ordered dinner. When a friend of theirs arrived with a child, it was obvious the little girls had either a play or dinner date together and they moved outdoors.
It wasn't until we were in the car on the way home that my friend told me she had difficulty determining whether one of the women was actually a man or not. I was astounded to realize that she had likely stared at this couple in that attempt and had in fact, made them so uncomfortable that they left. Furthermore, she asked me which acted as the man in the relationship, a question I found so antiquated and full of stereotyping that I was completely caught off guard and left speechless, which does not happen often.
This friend is in her sixties, and this is the twenty-first century, not 1950, after all. I know she has gay friends and is very aware of my background and history, so the level of ignorance simply threw me. When I could talk sensibly, I explained that there was no man, but two women, neither of whom was in drag or trying to look like a man, that families come in all forms and that rather than referring to roles, it is more appropriate to use a term such as partners or spouses, whether they are legally married or not.
I can appreciate that she felt comfortable enough with me to talk about this, but my own discomfort with her behavior remains. She is, regrettably not someone with a lot of confidence or self esteem, and she tends to view things negatively, all of which I can deal with in small doses. This, however, was downright boorish. Having been the subject of public staring myself throughout my life, I understand how deeply that can affect someone and I am deeply embarrassed by this person's behavior and her ignorance as well as being sorry that she has been in the world as long as she has without understanding more about people.
16 comments:
Ouch.
I suspect I would limit my contact with that friend. Negativity can be depressing, and rudeness and insensitivity more so.
I quite agree! Ouch doesn't quite cover this, and I am trying to think how best to do what you suggest. Thanks.
Not a comfortable experience....but she's a friend for some reason despite her insecurity resulting in negativity...so can you work out a way of taking her in small doses - and in less public arenas?
Well, this is the first time I've seen anything so blatant, and I had reduced my contact with her before this. When she suggested doing the artists reception, I thought it might be fun...I'll not be so quick to accept anymore invitations, I think.
Yes, there are ways of backing away gently, she sounds boorish in the extreme and quite judgemental and rude in her staring. Wow. People come in all varieties, don't they?
Shame really. As her art does sound very interesting.
XO
WWW
So on another subject entirely, what's the story with the camera? How did you get it working again, or did you have to exchange it?
I am in my 60's as well. I was fortunate my grandmother who lived to 105 taught me about evolution of thought and opinion. I won't condemn your friends ignorance for I have no dog in that personal hunt, I have my own going on--but you did good e in using the moment as a teaching moment and not a "get out and never darken my door again moment." Who knows maybe your friend is slipping or didn't realize in her conscious mind what her subconcious was throwing out of her mouth?
I've just learned recently that a long, long-time friend is a member in a fundamentalist Christian church. I'm still trying to get my head around the idea that this woman, whom I always thought to be intelligent and fairly worldly-wise, belongs to a group that interprets the Bible absolutely literally.
I suppose the nice thing about most friendships is that they're not marriages - we see most friends in smallish doses.
This is like dinner with my family. I suspect that when my family is not present, they are MUCH more comfortable but I've come to realize that my mission in life is to have the unhappy job of being a role model for bi-sexuality and for families with two parents of the same sex. Patience is a virtue.
Possibly...
Exchange...
You're right about friendships and the luck that we see friends in smallish doses...though I have to remember that I am hardly perfect...Thanks for coming by.
As difficult as the evening was for you, I think you handled the situation generously by using it as a teachable moment for your friend.
This reminds me of a woman in my workplace, not a friend at all and never will be. She is the CEO/my bosses ex wife. He is gay. She started work there a month after me, and tried to speculate about this South Asian employees sexuality. I was taken aback, although she perhaps was attempting to start up a friendship with me, I did not wish start this off with gossiping about other colleagues sexuality, and what got me most was her ex husband (the CEO) and her own daughter have known this South Asian lad longer than I have and why not ask him about his sexuality, because I really don't care. I didn't bite her bait and join in with the gossiping, since then because I don't join in her boorish talk and most people in the room just stop to listen (brown nosing) she has made my life in work difficult, reminding me and another female colleague that she is the bosses ex wife and can get whatever she wants, yet we get told at work - she got her job on merit, obviously noone there believes this.I work for an equality organisation, but its far from equal let alone fair. Sometimes, we just can't explain why people behave the way they do, perhaps its their own insecurities. But I admire you for your response x
Thank you. I think you hit the nail squarely when you mentioned insecurities...Too bad, really, for all concerned. I am sorry about the lady in your workplace and how ironic since you work in an equality organization. I hope things improve or that you find another opportunity which better suits you. You are right to avoid gossip.
Sorry to say that patience is not my strong suit, though I do try...Hugs to you.
Post a Comment