Thursday, June 18, 2015

Marking Time...

Longtime readers of this blog may remember that I had two step-siblings, both significantly older than I. The younger of these died not quite five years ago. His sister, whom I first met at five and a half when her father was dating my mother, is still very much alive and has raised three children and is now a grandmother. She has remained a constant presence in my life and makes no secret of her fondness for me. She married when I was ten and her husband was no less fond of me. Though we differed greatly in age and worldview, neither ever stinted on praise for my accomplishments, recognition of my humor or appreciation of my brain. I have been a guest in their homes since my teens and it was they who insisted on giving me a celebration following the end of graduate school   and a fiftieth birthday party. Seventeen years ago, while visiting and caring for her mother who had had several strokes, stepsister drove down to my mother's memorial service, renewing our almost lifelong bond.

When her brother was dying from complications of a major stroke, stepsister and I talked often. I visited them in late 2013 on my way home from a harrowing cross-country trip for the funeral of a young man who died in my home, and saw them last almost seven months ago here during a short but very enjoyable visit.

Last week during a chat, I learned that brother-in-law was to go for some testing. None of us had any inkling that a major stroke awaited him. I earned this via e-mail from one of stepsister's friends whom she has designated her point person for questions, last evening. He is non-responsive, under hospice care and is expected to die within days. Though I have spoken to a daughter-in-law, stepsister is in shock and unavailable. I have spent the last two days quietly at home, waiting, and hoping that her children, friends, neighbors and others who attend them will do so gently as stepsister is easily overwhelmed at the best of times.

I hope the kind and generous man she married and whom she adored is at peace as he leaves us. It is hard to fathom life without him. I worry for her, their children and his sister and her family, all of whom will bear the brunt of this loss.


9 comments:

the walking man said...

A lifetime of kindness, goodness, is not repaid with an over abundance of sorrow for them not following just yet. They and you will mourn and grieve but soon enough you will begin to remember the good life of this man not his passing. My best hopes and prayers are with you e.

Mwa said...

Sending you best wishes. I see what you meant now. x

Steve Reed said...

Oh, E, that's terrible. I'm so sorry for her and for you, going through yet another loss.

X said...

I am sorry, e.

I am going through a similar time in that I have spent the last 2 days at the ER with my gramma. She is 93, fell again, breaking her hip, leg and fracturing her spine. She is unresponsive and it is probably only a matter of time.

The after is always such a hard time, I agree with Mark though, you will have the memories of the good times to carry forward. And we can all hope to leave those that follow us.

I am well. My family is well.
Thanks for asking.

Smiles.

X said...

Shhhhh....

Secret Agent Woman said...

Oh, I"m so sorry. I have a couple of step-sibs and I just consider them my brother and sister. I am wishing peace for you, your ssiter and your brother-in-law as you go through this.

Birdie said...

I have never cared for the word "step". It makes it sound like there is a little less love than "real" family when in fact our step families can be closer and show just as much love. I have a (step) dad and a (step) sister and they are my family through and through.

Thinking of you and your sister's family.

Jenny Woolf said...

That is so very sad. I send thoughts and prayers to your stepsister and her husband, even though I do not know them personally. A bad time.

37paddington said...

I am sorry I missed this post. I send love and prayers to your family in this painful time.