Monday, June 8, 2015

Massage...

One of the best antidotes to muscle pain, creaky joints and the soreness that remains after day after day use of the arms and hands is massage. While most people equate it with relaxation, it is a potent pain reliever that can restore the body, aid in healing and help with sleep. I had a massage two weeks ago amid great pain. Why? Age, wear and the tightness that perpetually accompanies my muscles. It had been six months since my last appointment, what with one thing and another, and my pain had reached a dull roar everywhere.

I am fortunate to have a massage therapist who makes house calls. I've done the bus before and after massage and it is never fun. Aside from the sitting, which can hastily undue the good done on the table, the waiting can be interminable and when one needs to stretch out and sleep, that just is not a good thing.

While I felt much restored following the massage two weeks ago, things in body land were still not quite kosher. Massage therapist advised that though she did as thorough a going over as she could in an hour and fifteen minutes, there were still areas that could use more work and that I should wait a bit, drink a lot of water to rid my body of any toxins and call to advise how I was feeling. With that, she was gone and I was left to assuage residual soreness with a hot shower, herbal tea and water.

In the ensuing two weeks, my shoulders and arms, including my forearms and hands, remained sore, though the degree was somewhat reduced. My left hand and wrist showed signs of repetitive stress and have been iced and braced regularly since. They are slowly healing.

 I had a second massage four hours ago and as I sit with a water bottle, the value of listening to one's body is not lost on me. It just seems that the signals of wear, fatigue and and pain are felt more often these days.

Until Next Time...

7 comments:

Mwa said...

I'm going for a massage later today...

Steve Reed said...

A massage is always a good thing. We are at the age when hand and joint problems are bound to be felt, and of course, that's doubly true for you. So bravo for taking care of yourself, and keep it up. I try to get a massage every couple of months -- in fact, it's time again!

Maria said...

I get a massage the week before chemo. It is a godsend.

37paddington said...

Wow. Thank you for this reminder. I once had an aching arm and shoulder and massage completely eliminated the months of pain. So why, I wonder, have I not made this a regular part of my life. I will have to rethink this, I have pain everywhere BUT in that arm now. I hope you're feeling better.

Birdie said...

Being Highly Sensitive makes you way more aware and way more likely to have pain, It is one of the things I hate about being HS.
When I get a massage she is always amazed at how much pressure I need. She used her elbows and leans into me with her body. I love it!

Secret Agent Woman said...

Just catching up - I"m sorry your having so much trouble with pain. Glad the massage is helping some.

Shaheen said...

I am sorry that you are in such pain and hope that the massage eases some of it. When I have had a massage it was never for pleasure but to ease a pain that I used to get in my lower back, near the neck - but its eased off over the years. Do hope you feel better. Warm wishes.