Sunday, February 8, 2015

A Lovely Way To End The Week...


Has anyone seen the stars tonight? It is crisp, but not cold and there were several stars raining light as I came home from dinner with friends. The night sky can be hard to see in a suburban landscape as built up and neon-dominated as this tends to be. Living next to an eight-lane roadway populated largely by businesses, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the cacophony of traffic noises, the glare of lights or the blare of emergency vehicles on route to nearby hospitals or the neighboring firehouse.

This evening as I arrived at my door, however, all was quiet and what was intended as a passing glance upward became the entree for one of nature's finest moments. Many years ago while in the desert with my friend Pauline, we were treated to a dazzling array twinkling from above when she, an avid amateur astronomer, showed me some stars through her telescope, remarking that the stars were infinitely more interesting and beautiful than anything humans could create, and few of us appreciated our luck at being able to gaze at them.

I think perhaps she was right. What do you think?



3 comments:

Steve Reed said...

I always count myself lucky when I can see stars. We had a nice display a couple of nights ago, which is rare here not only because of urban light pollution but also because we almost always have cloud cover! Glad you got a good show as well. I would love to go back to the desert and see the stars in their multitude.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Pretty much anything in nature is more beautiful than anything a human can make.

Brian Miller said...

i love the night sky...and winter seems to make the sky even more crisp...i love going out in the yard and just imagining how vast our universe really is...