I suppose I should have written this earlier in the month but because I cannot seem to return to sleep, now seems as good a time to think about the highlights of 2014 as any other. There are a few loyal readers out there who may be thinking there haven't been many high points in my life of late, but there were several:
December: Seeing a London production of Phantom of the Opera with one of my nicest woman friends...She shared an extra ticket with me and we saw what is easily one of the top produced shows around and probably the best performances ever presented here. It was a lovely time.
November: Getting a visit from Stepsister and her husband...They were in another part of the state for something else and drove over to see me...As they live in Texas, we do not see each other frequently. We had a memorable day in Ybor City with good food and laughter. Dinner later at a Basque eatery in my neighborhood is still being mentioned because the food is that good...I also got a surprise Kindle, onto which I can download library books...She who no longer sleeps well has been reading like a maniac ever since.
October: Stealing away for an overnight and daytime adventure with another friend...We had a PJ party complete with an old Stewart Grainger film, King Solomon's Mines. Since the original film predates my birth by almost a decade, I had never seen it before but being a movie buff, I have to say I enjoy going back in time, even if some of the lines are a bit corny... The next day, my friend and I visited Tarpon Springs for an art festival and lunch, then took in some exhibits at a local museum. There is a lot to be said for spending on experiences rather than material things.
September: A George Gershwin fan since my fifth grade teacher during my expat childhood demanded a report on him and on Tin Pan Alley, I caught a more recent version of Porgy and Bess on the small screen. Fortuitous since I do not own a television myself...The rest of the month was a washout due to illness
August: No, it was not the gossip-ridden birthday party a friend convinced me to have at my house...After that experience, I may never have another, at least not with the same people...That event forced me to step back a bit and re-examine who I was spending time with and why...
and today, when I see certain persons, it is strictly hi and goodbye, politely and speedily. Why is it that those with the smallest minds often have the biggest mouths?
Two other things sprang from that party: A quiet lunch with a dear friend who understands that the purpose of conversation is not to air everyone else's dirty laundry, unbidden, and with a sense of inflated self-importance...That equates, at least in my mind, to the verbal equivalence of flatulence...and who needs it? The other was a conversation with a friend's friend about what we value and why...
July: Othello, from the Met, at my local theatre...Almost makes up for not being able to see it in New York...and Renee Fleming...Always fabulous...The birth of my best girlfriend's first grandchild, which she missed by a mere two weeks...Sometimes, life is just so unfair...
June: A beautiful day spent on the streets of a local community commemorating Pride Fest...dancing, music, merchants, artists, local businesses, churches and other organizations combined to make it wonderful for the city and all of its visitors. Though the streets were mobbed, people were polite and helpful to one another. The only downside was a need for more public conveniences and those accessible to wheelchair users.
March: A gorgeous time or two spent in a regional park with a bagged lunch, a notebook and alas, a camera with dead batteries. I am starting to think something is wrong there because my camera batteries always seem to be dead or dying...but the weather was great and I enjoyed being out of doors and not around too many cars or people.
February: Finding out I had no cancer and sneaking off to the beach for an afternoon...
Have a great week...
5 comments:
Something to celebrate thern, after all.
It's always good to remember the best times, I think that how we choose to frame things also affects our experiences in some way. I very much agree that spending money on experiences is very well worthwhile. I find it usually works out that I enjoy the experience more than the possession. Not always, but usually! I hope you have more good times in 2015.
It's been a good year! What IS the deal with those camera batteries?? We bought new ones, remember, and I think even THEN it didn't work.
Obviously a problem...I think it is time for a new camera...
A full year, both difficult and celebratory.
Post a Comment