Sunday, January 4, 2015

Slowly On the Mend

Five days into the New Year and I am finally on the mend from upper respiratory hell. The cat seems to have recuperated from his traumatic foray outdoors and all animals and their favourite human are looking forward to the year unfolding.

I was able to work on two hours of Hebrew with my friend and tutor today. That felt wonderful as I was afraid I'd forgotten all I had learned previously, which fortunately, wasn't the case. Surprisingly, it only takes about fifteen to twenty minutes of review daily to keep up and build upon what one already knows and I think I can manage that.

As for the rest of life, there are decisions pending as I have decided to look into going into a 55 and up community, providing I can find one that I like and can afford. Both are big "ifs" at this point. Time will tell.

In the meantime, I am enjoying my new Kindle, a holiday gift, and on the look out for a few good reads. Suggestions are welcome.

Happy Sunday...

12 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

I recently read "Defending Jacob" on kindle. Really intriguing, if disturbing book.

Glad you are on the mend. Hope you can find a place to live that you like.

the walking man said...

The best thing about Kindle is the WIDE variety of free books.

http://freebies.about.com/od/onlinebooks/tp/free-kindle-books.htm
and
https://www.bookbub.com/home/

I like Bookbub because they not only find free but deep discounted books for the Kindle.

I actually read the first translation of War and Peace on Kindle---that was a trip.

Steve Reed said...

It's good to make a plan like that, especially given that you have plenty of time to look around and find the right fit.

I liked "This is Where I Leave You," which I just finished. (Lots of sex, just FYI!)

Megan said...

Hello, e and happy new year! Glad to know you are on the mend!

e said...

Thanks...I'm not sure it will be for me but it's worth a look.

e said...

Thanks, I'll check it out. I've not read Tolstoy since my undergrad days.

e said...

Sex doesn't phase me...Tropper is well reviewed. Thanks for the suggestion.

e said...

Same to you, Megan. Where are you these days?

37paddington said...

I love binge watching TV series on Kindle. Loved Parenthood and Friday Night Lights. Nice that you're posting again. You were missed.

Brian Miller said...

well i am glad that you are feeling like you are on the mend....
i hope the new year is a good one for you...and that you find that community
if it is what you want....

Elizabeth said...

All the Light We Cannot See is wonderful -'

tut-tut said...

Hi e; yes, let's talk about reviving the book club. I think we need a slightly different way of going about it. I hope you're on the mend, and blogging seems to be heaving itself up off its backside and starting to walk around the block for 10 minutes a day or so.