Monday, August 4, 2014

Birthday

Today, I turned fifty-five. Nothing unique in that except as life has shown most recently, some of us are not that lucky. I celebrated Saturday with a party at home that also included the up and coming birthdays of some friends and acquaintances. There were fifteen or so and initial reports indicate a wonderful time was had by all. Can't beat that for a gift...

Normally not one for parties, I was persuaded by a longtime friend to do this as an antidote to recent events and decided to open my home so that both I and her son, who also uses a wheelchair, could have the certainty of accessible bathroom facilities should that be necessary. She was thrilled that her son and daughter-in-law could come and they added to the festive event.

Birthdays for me have always been a time of reflection and in recent years, gratitude, for the friends and other parts of my life that I hold dear. I was born prematurely to a mother who was too young and who experienced much in her life, including an early divorce, finding and losing the love of her life and dying before sixty of metastatic lung cancer. Though she and I were often like two gathering storms, I loved her and would not be in this world but for her and the love of her parents which got us both through some tough spots when I was young.

Told by doctors that I would probably not survive beyond delivery, my mother, who had lost her first daughter barely one year before I was born, faced an uncertain future. The practicality and tenacity of her working parents pushed her to return to college. She was the first in her family to acquire a university education and went on to support us both and eventually, to marry the man she described as the love of her life. He and she could be aptly dubbed complicated in both personality and temperament. While our family life was not always smooth, I had no doubt that they loved each other or me.

 My maternal grandparents also forged strong bonds with me. The older I have the fortune of becoming, the more I appreciate the lessons and values they imparted. This is particularly true of my grandfather who rarely met a stranger, was honest and hardworking, generous, kind and patient.

Today, I am thinking of all of them and offer a prayer of thanks, that in the midst of all of the sorrow, loss and unexpectedly ruptured relationships I have endured over the last months, I am still here with much to give and be grateful for, including the very special friend who convinced me to open my home and heart this weekend.

Until Next Time...

10 comments:

Steve Reed said...

I'm glad you had a party! Happy belated birthday! I'll send you an e-mail and maybe we can connect this week or next.

the walking man said...

Well E it sounds as if there was little time for reflection on your birthday this year. Memories of them who have passed through our life, actually enhance the birthdays as we get older. My birthday brought me a grandson, 60 years younger than me. July was not an all bad month and August seems to have started out alright too.

the fly in the web said...

I'm glad you went ahead with a party...the pleasure of friends is so much better than a present.

Jenny Woolf said...

This is a lovely and positive post - just what I felt like reading. Thank you!

e said...

Steve: It was great to catch up a bit; I'll be in touch.

Walking Man: Warmest birthday wishes and congratulations on becoming a grandfather!

Jenny: I appreciate your kind comments. It is always a pleasure to read your posts, too.

Fly: You are so right!

Secret Agent Woman said...

Happy Birthday! I'm glad you had time with friends and also took the opportunity to reflect on what you are grateful for.

Shaheen said...

Belated Birthday wishes E, I am sorry for having not visited in such a long time, but...I know you will understand. I am so happy that you spent time with good friends and that they spent time to cherish your friendship too. Each year I get older, I too am becoming more appreciative of people gone by and lessons that I have learned and am still learning. Hoping you are well. x

37paddington said...

Belated birthday wishes, dear e. I had not realized you'd started posting again. I shall have to go back and catch up!

tut-tut said...

hey, e; are we getting back in the blogging groove? I hope so. I'm trying to, anyway.

Shaheen said...

Hi e,
The Christmas tree went up in our home after 4 years of low. I was thinking of my blog friends who supported me x you being one of them. Hope your well. Hope you get back to blogging, wish you well.