Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Chunky Vegetarian Chili, Among Other Things...

I've had too much birthday, it seems. I'm actually a wee bit exhausted and spent most of last night rather under the weather.

Prior to that, it was full tilt, with plans afoot to find and hire another builder to complete the work on this flat. I've got feelers out, based on a friend or two's recommendations. The man who did my bathroom earlier in the year has not  followed through with any of his promises to give me an estimate, so it is time to look elsewhere.

The kitchen needs to be made more functional and trackless sliding doors installed on the enclosed patio, among other things.

In the meantime, cooking has been the order of the day. Last week, I linked this blog to a recipe I got from Shaheen. This week, I trolled the pantry and fridge, coming up with all of the ingredients for a chunky vegetarian chili which you can see below.

It contains a mix of chili seasonings, vegetable broth, sweet potato, diced tomatoes, green pepper, yellow squash, kidney beans, carrots and a handful of green beans. Add a dash of salt to suit, if you like. I served this with some brown rice and have about three quarts. It will freeze, which means I do not have to eat it until it's gone unless I feel like it.

I've found that taking a recipe to the market cuts costs overall on a week's groceries, so I will do that until I run out of ideas. If any of you have recipes that are simple to make and feature vegetables and you feel like sharing them, feel free to send an e-mail.

Stay Well...

14 comments:

tut-tut said...

Hi e! Hope you are well

Steve Reed said...

I have some favorite veg recipes I will try to remember to send you! Hope you can get someone in the pipeline to work on your place.

Shaheen said...

Looks very good e. I am pleased its gonna last you with the help of the freezer. I am sorry to read that the builder you had has been a let down, but so do hope that the others recommended to your friends follow through. As for Birthday, you can never have too much birthday. Take care

nick said...

That sounds delicious! I have a similar recipe for kidney bean and carrot chili. I must try adding peppers and sweet potatoes.

It really annoys me when tradesmen sound keen to do a job, give you estimates etc etc, and then nothing happens and you realise they weren't interested in the job in the first place. Why can't they just say so and save a lot of hassle and delay?

e said...

Thanks. You, too.

the fly in the web said...

The builder sounds all too typical....

I make a base I picked up in Egypt...chickpeas, rice, vermicelli and lentils...cooked and mixed then put into portions in the freezer ready to be paired with whatever you please, from garlic and lemon sauce to a sort of ratatouille via chilli tomato...you name it or whatever you have in the fridge.

Secret Agent Woman said...

That sounds really good. Another easy veggie dish is to toss chopped eggplant, tomatoes, onions, zucchini, red or yellow bell peppers, squash, carrots (or whatever, I'm a little free form) with olive oil, garlic, basil and thyme and slow roast them. Serve over brown rice - ratatouille!

e said...

I would love your recipe, Nick! As for tradesmen, that is their most irritating quality.

e said...

Thanks for the recipe, and I do have Mollie Katzen's cookbooks. I want a photo of your new shirt.

e said...

Sounds lovely, will give it a try. I hope you and Mr. Fly are doing well.

e said...

Thanks for your visit, always nice to hear from you and thanks for all of your inspiration in the kitchen.

e said...

Yum! Sounds like a winner. Thanks!

I Wonder Wye said...

happy BD! Mine was 8/2. Fellow Leo, we felines come by our love of cats honestly don't we? The chili sounds yum. I love to sneak in all kinds of veggies in our meals, and treat fish and chicken like a 'side' dish. Here's hoping you find the right contractor/builder and soon!

37paddington said...

Happy birthday, e! Good luck with the construction!