Tuesday, August 6, 2013

And the Birthday Goes On...

The after service birthday oneg (Hebrew word for joy) on Friday was well received and without complications. In addition to the items purchased for the occasion, there were two home made birthday cakes--a vegan carrot cake and a frosted lemon sheet cake. I was stuffed at evening's end and thank both parties for their fine efforts. I cannot recall the last time someone baked a cake for my birthday.

Saturday I was treated to a trip to the beach and lunch at a cafe on the water. It was last minute, so the camera was forgotten, but the three of us had a wonderful time and it was a beautiful day without a drop of rain, a rarity this summer. We strolled around and people-watched, licking ice cream from our fingers before heading home.

Sunday was rainy but made brighter by the floral arrangement sent by friends en route to a new job in South Carolina. The flowers are lovely and smell divine but, in order to keep them from cat's claws, I tried putting them in the bathroom with the door shut. This was short-lived as Jacob soon mastered the door and entertained himself by clawing to bits every toilet roll on the bathroom shelf. As the flowers would have been next, they are now in the hall pantry.

Last night, another impromptu birthday dinner, which was great, left me quite full and happy that I am blessed with good friends. Tomorrow, I have yet another birthday lunch, with the finale this coming Saturday.

Though I've prepared a delicious post-birthday recipe which you can find here, I've not had the time to taste it yet. It is a Sri Lankan vegan pepper pot, and the lovely Shaheen, whose blog features a diversity of flavours, is a wonderful cook. Give her a read. The photos alone will make your mouth water.

Until Next Time...




13 comments:

the fly in the web said...

Life is one long birthday, then...nice to know how much you are appreciated!
I did like the recipes, thank you for the link.

For some unknown reason the comments box would not pop up for your lat post....could be my intnet link which is decidedly tenuous at the moment.

Steve Reed said...

I'm glad you got to the beach! That sounds like a fun trip!

I'm laughing at the notion of your flowers in the hall pantry. Can you put them on your porch, so you could at least see and enjoy them? Or maybe it would be better to just have them out and let the cats have their way with them. It seems such a shame to close them up in the pantry, unless you use the pantry a lot and will see them in there!

Brian Miller said...

smiles...very cool...def blessed to have good friends....glad they made you feel special...and a beach trip sounds pretty awesome as well....wow that pepper pot sounds like it would be good...

Secret Agent Woman said...

That sounds truly wonderful. Friends are such a treasure.

e said...

Another blogger noticed this...try reading from the blog itself rather than a reader. Sometimes that helps. Nice of you to pop in.

e said...

No, the last time he had his head in my flowers they toppled, and all the water spilt on the wood floor which was difficult for me to clean up. I gave them to someone today so that I would no longer need to worry about anything happening to them.

e said...

The pepper pot was good...thanks for coming by.

e said...

You're right, and the older I get, the more I appreciate friends and wonderful days.

nick said...

The last comment I made disappeared into the void. And then the comments box itself disappeared. So I'm just checking if this one disappears too.

nick said...

I think what I said was that it must have been lovely to get the two birthday cakes! A birthday without a cake just isn't the same.

And at least it was the toilet rolls that were torn to bits and not the flowers!

So do I take it you're a vegan?

e said...

Not entirely...I like to eat a variety and as healthily as possible, though.

Jenny Woolf said...

It is lovely to realise how much you are appreciated. What a nice exte-e-e-ended birthday!

Shaheen said...

I think its lovely when someone bakes you a cake, for whatever occasion I am still waiting for that day (sigh), so you are so lucky my dear and carrot cake too - Yum. And a day out to the beach too. Thank goodness for good friends. Also thank you very very much for the link, so glad you liked it.