Thursday, April 18, 2013

From The Terrifying To The Moronic...

Since reading of the Boston bombings earlier this week, I've felt out of sorts...Almost as if I am in slow motion. I had a friend in that city whose life will be forever changed, thanks to these events and while I am not free to disclose the particular details, we had a heartfelt if somewhat teary conversation on Tuesday.

Words are inadequate to express the sense of futility I feel regarding humankind and our attachment to extremes in idea, attitude and action. Why Boston? Why the marathon? Why runners and onlookers who as of this writing presumably have no connection to those responsible for this senseless atrocity?

No reason or ideal will ever be enough to justify these acts of violence, whether they be in Boston, New York, or any other world city. That said, however, U.S. national legislators have let the citizenry down yet again by failing to pass a measure that would have tightened background checks for those wanting handguns. I suppose the U.S. is now to be the largest and most gun-toting nation where any extremist, anyone who is mentally unstable, can obtain weapons, shoot up campuses or primary schools and leave Congresspersons such as Ms. Giffords of Arizona shot in the head during a public appearance.

It seems those in charge have learned nothing from these and other more recent and tragic examples. This is a country where children die for their parents rights to bear arms. It is a country in which so-called leaders are more concerned with their own re-elections and party agendas than with the desires and well-being of those whom they purport to represent.


6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yes, a vile week all around. Be well.

the fly in the web said...

The vote was proof, if proof were needed, that pelf comes before duty.

Steve Reed said...

There's definitely some bad energy out there at the moment!

Christine said...

I do not understand the American obsession with guns, in Ireland even our GardaĆ­ (Police)are not armed. Violence begets violence It is a sad week for the children of America

nick said...

I'm permanently baffled by the American obsession with owning guns, and the politicians' inability to control it. Even the mass slaughter of innocent children isn't enough to prompt some proper gun-regulation. Bizarre.

Alan Burnett said...

There is madness out there, there is hate and there is a lack of tolerance. But there is also a lot of love and humanity, fellowship and understanding of the pain of others. Keep strong my friend.