I have one rule for the household...
When something new comes in, something old must go.
Since getting my wheelchair, the front room and other areas of my small flat had become obstacle courses. The opportunity presented itself for most serious de-cluttering I've ever done once the flat was torn up due to water damage. The futon, side tables, matching chair and ottoman went to the family of my builder's helper. An unused desk chair, clothing and a lamp went to a charitable organisation. Two bags of books were donated to the library and various kitchen items went to my now former cleaner. Once both closets were cleared, more miscellany left the flat. Being a minimalist by nature, I cannot say I was sad to see any of it go. I like seeing spaces in my rooms and closets. As it is late, I'll post photos tomorrow.
6 comments:
I like space...my husband hordes....
That must present challenges...My grands kept everything, but they came of age and married during the Depression, so I could understand their fear of scarcity. I think freeing oneself of unneeded stuff gives a person more time to focus on other priorities. However, because of my particular situation, having less stuff has also become a management issue, both in terms of time and in the ability to move freely in my environment.
I'm a minimalist by nature too, so I completely understand that impulse. Dave does not -- he always teases me for keeping things pared back -- but for me it's a matter of sanity! Your house didn't strike me as at all cluttered, and I'm kind of amazed you could find that many objects to get rid of!
Glad to see that things are beginning to take shape. I must confess I am a hoarder and I exist midst a permanent battle to try to digitise all my possessions so that I might become a virtual minimalist.
I don't remember who brought the first "clutter" into the house but I do know i am ready for three pairs of jeans 10 t shirts and just enough underwear to get me through to laundry day.
I seem to be endlessly decluttering and then more stuff comes along. I realy wish I could get on top of that.
Post a Comment