Friday, August 3, 2012

A Birthday Story...

Fifty-three years ago tonight, a twenty-year-old woman, soon to be divorced, was packing to leave her sad excuse of a husband. She had been to her OBGYN earlier that day for her seven month prenatal visit and the doctor had cleared her for the drive she planned to make from South Carolina to Florida, where she planned to stay with her grandmother.

Told that her pregnancy was progressing normally, she looked forward to leaving and having time to settle before her late October due date. As evening lengthened, she began to feel something wasn't right, and by the time she had reached a friend who drove her to the hospital on a nearby Air Force base, labour had begun.

Steps were taken to halt its progress, including she would later claim, being given something that knocked her out. Upon reaching consciousness early on the morning of August 4, she learned that a daughter had been born. Doctors were not optimistic about the newborn's chances of survival and her young mother was afraid of the loss of this, her second daughter, in just under a year...

That young woman was my mother and I thought about her throughout the day as I went about routines. She is no longer living and I have cheated death on more than one occasion, so birthdays hold a special significance for me. I have learned to be humbly grateful for friends, time and the myriad other things that fill my life.

As I celebrate tomorrow, I'll also pause to remember some special folks I've met through blogging. Thanks for being out there. Be well.

Until Next Time...

13 comments:

Steve Reed said...

Happy birthday, e! I'm glad you're out there too!

the walking man said...

Some can't wait for what doctors and soothsayers have to say but rather come and do it their own way from the start! May your birthday this year be the best day of the year just past and the worst day of the year ahead and don't you ever worry about cheating death, that bastard cheats all the time and it is good when we cheat it's dumb ass. Happy contented birthday!

The Main Street Blues

Brian Miller said...

smiles...happy birthday...what an interesting birth story...i am glad it ended well...i hope today is a wonderful day for you....

the fly in the web said...

I hope all your birthday plans work out well and you have a great time with friends. Mr. Fly has cheated death too, so I have some notion of what you mean about being grateful for friends and the important things in life.

nick said...

Happy birthday! Glad the birth worked out okay. My own birth was very straightforward as far as I know.

On These Spindrift Pages - A journal of nature, thought, and the reflective life. said...

Happy birthday my dear and many happy returns. I'm so glad that I've had a chance to get to know you and your stories have been truly inspirational. May god bless you on this special day.

e said...

Thanks, Walking Man!

e said...

Yes, it was a wonderful day, thanks. I have always been grateful for my tenacity. It sees me through much.

e said...

Thanks...though it is hard for me to believe that I've reached "late middle age." Life never stops being a challenge, does it?
I appreciate you as well.

e said...

You know, Fly, there have been many times, reading your blog, that I feel I've been gifted with your keen wit and humour. I appreciate both, and your e-mails, too.

e said...

Nick, thanks! and I hope you continue to be one of my staunchest readers. I never know what I'll find on your blog and that keeps life interesting. Best to you and Jenny.

e said...

Thank you, kind sir! You are a special man yourself and getting to know you has been a pleasure. Keep well and enjoy your new home.

Elizabeth said...

I'm a bit late, but happy birthday to you! Thank you for your thoughtful comment on my blog tonight -- your point of view and input was important.