Sunday, May 20, 2012

An Odd Weekend...

The first heat of what promises to be an exceptionally hot and humid summer has started here. I no longer enjoy cool breezes or verdant patches of shade as it is simply too hot. Even the heartiest souls are now seeking refuge in malls or other air conditioned venues...

I spent Thursday morning at a local theatre watching a rather lacklustre Hollywood film based on the popular book, What to Expect When You're Expecting. My neighbour chose the film and found it entertaining. Though it has a few funny moments, I'm still not sure it was worth the reduced price of a matinee.

He then drove us to the Ikea store, which I had never visited. We dutifully toured some of Ikea's model apartments of varying sizes before having lunch and heading home. Ikea seems to have a knack for well-designed small spaces. Had they been in my city twelve years ago, I might have utilised their products and services for my flat.

I have had to review my Will and have it re-done, along with associated documents. There is something both daunting and liberating about the experience, along with the sadness of realising that my friend Steve, who blogs at Shadows and Light, once the perfect choice to take my pets, can no longer do so. If things work out, they will go to an animal charity. For the present, however, they passed their vet visit last week and will hopefully live out their lives happily here.

I was to have met today with the person designated to handle my affairs in the event that I cannot. Unfortunately, he is dealing with several pressing issues, and has asked that we postpone matters until he is on summer break, something I am only too happy to do.  The remainder of the day was spent at a dog park with the Pomeranian from next door, getting ice cream and looking at a model home that neither the neighbours nor I can afford. For two who are soon to leave, I cannot understand their fascination with looking at homes...

All in all, a rather odd weekend for me as I normally spend time with friends or at temple or engaged in tasks that require more of my mind.

Speaking of minds, what is on yours?

Until Next Time...

10 comments:

the fly in the web said...

I worry about my animals and birds....while Mr.Fly is alive there is no problem, but I have already arranged with our friend the postman that he will take on our pets should we both go out like lights...not ideal, but at least they won't be cast loose on the world.

Brian Miller said...

IKEA is a pretty awesome place...went in my first one a year ago...the will, it is a rather daunting task you know...and thanks for the heads up on the movie...

Mrs Thrifty said...

A funny sort of a day. Must be hard trying to deal with all that admin - I must admit I have never written a will, though probably should. Still quite cold and rainy here. Found your blog on heart attacks very interesting - thank you. Hope you have a good week xx

Steve Reed said...

Sounds like a really GREAT weekend, odd or not! You certainly keep busy. Sorry about my life circumstances precluding taking on the cats -- but just as that precaution has been unnecessary so far, I hope it remains unnecessary for the long-term future! (It's smart to outline some plans in your will, though.)

the walking man said...

Sorry to disagree but give me heat, hot glorious heat, humid or dry just gve me HOT!

Kris McCracken said...

My mind is fixated on the question as to when it will here stop raining here in Tasmania!

Megan said...

Sorry for getting here late but it's hit or miss with me on the blogs these days. Hey, if you can talk about your Will, then things are good. Right? Right?!?

nick said...

There's something rather sobering about sorting out your will, but there's no point in pretending it's not necessary. Those people who refuse to make wills can leave an unholy mess for whoever gets to deal with their affairs after they're gone.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for visiting my blog today -- and I look forward to getting to know you here. I despise the humid heat of the east coast and American south and have loved with every fiber of my being living out in Los Angeles where humidity is something highly unusual!

Ian Lidster said...

A diverse time for you it seems. I remember it as a kind of rude awakening when I made out my will a few years ago. I mean, I had been assuming I'd live forever. As for your heat, please send a bit our way.