Fireworks ushered in the New Year in my neighbourhood last night . The felines barely concealed their contempt for the noise, alternately yowling madly and ducking beneath furniture. Before arriving home for what I hoped would be an early night, I spent a lovely afternoon with a friend and her sister-in-law. We saw War Horse which I enjoyed though if you go, I'd recommend bringing along tissues. Having seen the film, I'm searching out the book, originally written for older children, in which the story is narrated from the horse's perspective. It takes place in Europe just prior to and during World War I. When the film ended, I turned to my friend and remarked that I'd always liked horses better than people, and this film confirmed that for me. While there are things worth dying for, the older I become, the list of those things grows shorter.
Last Sunday was the fifth day of Hanukkah as well as Christmas and I, along with others from our synagogue, volunteered to help at a local charity which provides meals and other services to the homeless. Initially concerned about wheelchair access, I was assured that this would not be an issue since we would be working in a large tent with solid flooring. Things went smoothly in that regard and I found myself stuffing backpacks with ladies underwear and socks and handing them out. Nearly all of those who came through my line were alone, but there were mothers with children, elderly men and women and whole families in evidence in that tent as well. Many looked as though they could use medical or dental assistance which is next to impossible to obtain here without a permanent address. People from various sectors say that things are looking up, but how can that be when unemployment remains high, wages are stagnant and the numbers of people in need of food banks, free school lunches for their children, social services and homeless shelters appear to be increasing?
Midweek saw me traveling across town to meet the trainer my physiotherapist recommended. She seems knowledgeable, interested in working with me and confident that I can meet the goals I've set for myself. The only drawback was having to wait for an extended period for the bus ride back to the flat. As the day was beautiful and cool, I did not mind being outdoors until a total stranger approached, prayed over me in the name of Jesus, and departed, though none too swiftly for my liking. She was completely oblivious to the Star of David around my neck and the fact that I kept my eyes focused on the magazine I was reading. I wonder if she makes a habit of preying on people in wheelchairs...
Happy 2012 everyone.
Until Next Time...
10 comments:
That's good work you did.....all the very best to you for 2012 :) xx
War Horse is on my tod-do list for later this week so thanks for the tip about the tissue.
You did do fine work on Christmas; being of service to people who desperately need kindness is a deeply spiritual act, far better than praying over a stranger on a street. Good golly. I'm glad you're you, E, and not anyone else. You're an interesting, spiritual, unique woman. Blessings on your personal goals this year.
Bravo for your volunteer work. As for the praying woman, it's amazing how presumptuous some people can be. I'm sure she thought she was doing a good thing, but sheesh. And something tells me that if she saw the star of David she'd have prayed harder!
You need a jack in the box for people like the unholy raptor...just wait until she bends over you and ..wham! let it go!
I was talking to an American friend about the coming elections and asked her how she felt now about Obama. She thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread...but I don't see it given the state of the people without all the supports of a civilised society.
Sounds like a good day that ended fully weirdly. Your second paragraph speaks to many of my own thoughts about the half truth of things getting better. It is for half of the upper class 20%. yet that could change either way with a few pen strokes. Have you noticed how the politicians are ALL saying that we need to rely on our Churches and Temples for services like food and shelter assistance that the government used to render?
nice....ugh sorry on the person on the bus...happy new year e!
Well, at least, she didn't curse you for killing Jesus... She could have, you know. I had a run in late in 2011 with a christian zealot. I know she believes to be a better person than I am, but i pity her. The way she treated me... Geesh!! So that movie is really that good? I was not overly impressed by the trailer...
Anyway, as I said in your previous post, may 2012 be kind to you!!
:)~
HUGZ
Sounds like a wonderful changing of the years. I do hope your experience with your trainer is as good as mine has been with Chip. I find that a weekly visit to see him is enough to keep me motivated to do something on my own every day. I love the juxtaposition of "praying" and "preying". Maybe you should have suggested to the missionary that she go off and stuff a few backpacks...
Hello e- Happy New Year and a belated Happy Hanukkah to you. Well done for your good deeds. I think the season highlights the problems of poverty and homelessness because there is such a contrast between the excessive spending of those who have excess and the misery of those who are lonely or impoverished. I have let the years go by without realising my intention to help out in a homeless centre at this time of year- so you are an inspiration. As for setting goals- I have let this pass too- so much food for thought here- thank you.
Good to hear you enjoyed the book- I am running late- I have answered you in my comment box.
Yes it was intrusive and insensitive of the stranger to 'prey' over you- I feel sure she would have made her God cringe. I was an active church member for many years but left after questioning a few things and now I cannot say that I believe in anything in particular.
Going back to Warhorse- my younger son saw it in London on the stage, as part of an educational visit with his school and he came home raving about it- it was wonderful to see him so inspired. He is studying drama at college now.
I have been using buses lately as my car is sick and in the workshop- a bit of a novelty, using public transport- but quite enjoyable in some ways as it forces you to slow down a bit. I'm not sure I would appreciate an extended wait though!
All the best for 2012 xxx
HAH! This got me, preying or praying she was out of line! I have a feeling that is what she makes a habit of. Visiting from Cinnamon's.
Post a Comment