The radio played a song from the Beatles Abbey Road album, softly, as the car hummed along the road way. As it was late afternoon and traffic was building to the inevitable climax known as rush hour, the smell of newly-laid asphalt drifted through the slit of the driver side window. Stop, first at one light and then another, snaking along the two-laned avenue. The last in a line of cars creeping homeward...It wasn't until I extended my leg toward the accelerator, pushing my body forward and glancing into the rear view mirror that I heard the sudden crunch of metal, breaking glass and felt a wave of something up my spine...
The paramedic unit further along the street, which was about to return to its station, stopped, and all of the first responders came running...I was told a woman had hit me in a rear-end collision at about 45-50 miles per hour...
Strapped down. unable to move my neck and head, I was taken to an area hospital. Though in shock, nothing was broken or bleeding, merely bruised. I was eventually released with a stern warning to see my own doctors within the week and return if further symptoms developed...
In the eighteen months that followed, I saw doctors, physiotherapist, chiropractor, massage therapist and two acupuncturists, none of whom could provide any answer regarding the chronic pain that appeared to plague the left SI area of my low back.
Finally discharged from treatment, I was told that I would simply have to live with the situation, that nothing further could be done. Dutifully following medical advice to stretch, my alarm grew exponentially when one morning, I found it nearly impossible to get out of bed due to pain and pronounced spasm.
Seen the following day at the medical school's clinic near my home, the doctor said my back was visibly spasming and that I should return to my chiropractor, who was, as it turned out, unavailable. Instead, I called another physician in private practice whom I had seen for something else, explained the situation and asked if she might know where I could possibly go for relief.
That conversation was a godsend. I was referred to a small, private physiotherapy clinic specialising in back care. A four-month regime of pain reduction, continual core and back strengthening, some restricted activities, and work outs, supplemented by daily stretching left me pain-free for the next two years. It wasn't until my knee was wrecked and I began using a wheelchair that my back once again became a concern, since sitting exacerbates the original problem.
I now stretch daily and see my physiotherapist regularly. Soft tissue injuries such as this can appear deceptively minor. The bills from the original accident mounted into thousands, and I was able to have them paid with the aid of an attorney. In the years since, I have spent increasing amounts for physiotherapy, fitness specialists and trainers not covered by insurance, even as the cost of insurance has skyrocketed.
That said, I am grateful to be writing these words, happy that these events weren't much worse, as they so easily might have been. Eight years on, I know that all doctors, physiotherapists, hospitals and allied health professionals are not created equally, so to speak, and that the healthcare system many like to rave about here is, in fact, difficult to navigate and in many instances, inefficient and broken.
I have poured over articles from both medical and training journals which told me things about this injury which my doctors and other professionals should have known, including the fact that the majority of injuries of this kind are the direct result of rear-end collisions.
If any of you were to experience these things, I would suggest doing your own research and turning over every stone until you find qualified help. If they cannot provide answers, keep looking and learn what you must do to take care of yourself.
Until Next Time...
19 comments:
wow...thanks for telling me the story behind it...and i am glad it was not worse than it was either...sound advice as well...
Dreadful thing to have happened to you...but I confirm - whatever you have; research it.
Don't be directed against your instincts and knowledge.
Doctors are still trying treatments that have been shown to be useless...because they don't keep up to date.
I remember when you had this accident -- nightmare! No matter what your medical situation, I've found it's beneficial to do your own research, though getting doctors to listen to you afterwards can be a challenge. I hope your back continues to improve, in any case.
e, you were so lucky not to have been killed.
Wise words re research, I wish I'd done that three years ago.
SP
Wow! I had never heard this story but excellent evidence for the need of universal health care. I'm really glad you were able to find information out on your own. I'm not sure I would have the stamina to do all that research.
So that's what happened. I'd often wondered and wasn't game to ask. Back injuries are so spurious it's difficult to diagnose and even harder to treat. My boss went into hospital recently for a routine disc operation and is now facing 8 weeks of rehab because he can't move his arm. They should have told him the risks, he might have lived with the discomfort rather than lose his mobility. But you're right e, could have been much worse. Chin up, soldier on and keep up the flexibility therapy.
I've had intermittent pain and back problems for years - despite endless types of therapy I find the best way is to trust my own body and my own relaxation techniques. I tend to have good years and bad years rather than days! I so agree about learning what you must do to take care of yourself.
Yep been there done that...Twice, in '02 a girl hit me side on rolled my vehicle which fractured two vertebrae and collapsed 6 discs in my cervical spine...odd how no one found the fractures until two weeks later because no one even would order an x-ray...they took one in the emergency room of the hospital but it was just black plastic by the time it got to a real doctor. The fractures healed misaligned and 7 vertebrae were fused and caged. Then as i was recovered fairly well and functional again bang an off duty cop in a 3/4 ton pick up truck nailed me while I was at a dead stop in traffic...which lead to another round of ever type of doctor you can imagine.
Long story short in '08 I had a Medtronic neuro stimulator implanted which really worked well on the pain and cut my drug use in half...until 8 weeks ago, when i went to have the device checked it now appears as if i have two of the wires moved three inches off from where they were placed. I am waiting to hear from the surgeons office after he decides if this going to have to be another 10 hour operation or a simple four hour one. No one and this is what bugs me the most can tell me how or why the wires moved.
I feel for you kiddo, I know exactly where of you speak, you're just sitting there minding your own business trying to get home and someone with their head buried where the sun doesn't shine comes along and changes your life. *sigh* Happens right. i just wish the law didn't let them off with a fifty dollar fine they both paid through the mail as I spent the last ten years dealing with this pain.
I tried to post earlier...but something went wrong...probably me!
Our experience echoes yours...do your own research and stick to your guns. Mr.
Fly did not have an easy run but at least he avoided the worst that outdated medicine could do to him.
I tried to leave a comment, but not altogether sure it went through.
The gist of it was from our experience, you have to do your own research to stand up to rigid medical opinion and system.
Not a happy anniversary by any means, but one which you bravely share with us in the hope that your own experiences might help others. May 2012 be as pain-free as possible.
Health professionals can be astonishingly ignorant and gormless about things they really ought to know about. Good that you discovered the specialist back-care clinic that was able to give you the help you needed. As you say, it could all have been much worse. And we motorists need to be even more alert to avoid the sort of disastrous accident that you were involved in.
It's interesting how a split second can change your life forever, yes? I know about the search for good therapy and how frustrating it can be at times. When you find a good therapist, it pays to keep that person forever! And yet the burden is still on each of us to take care of ourselves with daily exercises or whatever our situation demands.
While this is an anniversary you will never be able to forget, I hope this Jan. 8th, 2012 will be remembered as the year when things got better.
Maybe the pain will lessen, maybe people will remember how to mingle and maybe people won't throw Jesus in your face, I dunno.
I do know I wish you a happy new year.
X David
Knowledge is power - you know your body better than anyone else. I hope you find a relief from the chronic pain - may THIS be a great year! All good blessings...
Oh e,
What an Anniversary to remember, a sad one and one that has left you marked forever. I am humbled by your open heart and honestly for wanting to share your terrible experience with us. Like all the others before me, I can only wish for you that the pain decreases and that this year is a good one for you. I also want to say Thank you so much for your big heart in wishing me well with my terrible bad luck, when things in your life are not that kind x Shaheen
You have many sympathizers, e, who would cheerfully help if our good wishes were able to change things for you. I'm grateful you lived to pass on your warning. We were pounded similarly by a young woman in a Suburban right before Thanksgiving who carried the legal minimum insurance, which wasn't sufficient to cover the car damage done by her tank. We have excellent insurance of our own. My neck is crap now, but I'm getting good physical therapy and will bear in mind your caution.
Great to hear your recovery is active and mastered by you.
Noticed the Chiropractor was of no real help - oh, that's just the ususal for chiropractor's, they aren't real therapists anyway, they just like to charge as though they are...
Funny how we remember certain things in details...
Having my own issues with our healt care here,
I can empathize.
Good luck to you!!
:)~
HUGZ
Post a Comment