My copy of Jane Austen's complete novels has seen better days, the last of which happened in May when the flat was water soaked and the book was used by one of the workers to keep table legs from the wet floor. As you might imagine, I was a bit annoyed upon this discovery but since the pages were loose, the binding cracked from wear and it dated from 1980, I suppose the workers cleaning up the mess saw no harm in using it.
Venturing online to my library system two weeks ago, I was surprised to see only one two-volume set of Austen's complete novels available for borrowing, and one of the two is listed as lost or stolen. As the budget for replacement of lost items is minuscule due to budget cuts, I decided to buy an Austen compilation. This, of course, meant visiting Amazon and other booksellers. You might think that purchasing this item would take mere minutes. However, the dearth of materials available from Jane Austen are rivaled by those about her. There are books on manners and etiquette, tomes on her letters and scads of books written by various Austen scholars. I even spied an Austen-inspired cookbook containing recipes from the period in which she lived. Other books devote themselves to the particulars of Regency England and the expectations for a woman of Austen's class and beyond.
I scoured buyer's reviews of the available compilations, primarily to see which were annotated or illustrated and how each held up with light-to-average use. Not surprisingly, I quickly ruled out most large paperbacks and began looking at used books for a decent hardback copy that was under ten dollars. I also decided to buy a complete compilation and donate it to the library system.
My Saturday morning visit to the regional library in my neighbourhood saw the usual patrons, parents with small children, teens, legions of adults with laptops, and others using the library's computers. I am usually the only wheelchair user about the place, a subject for another post. Waiting for a quiet moment at the desk, I offered the book to the two librarians, who were thrilled with the addition. I wondered silently how many people approach them with donations of this kind.
In a state without state income tax, notorious for low property taxes and fewer taxes than are found in other regions of the U.S., we are too often told that budget cuts are the cause underlying lack of services, when in fact, strained budgets are but a symptom. With stagnant wages in an area dominated by low wage jobs, working people are reluctant to pay higher taxes while the wealthy pursue tax breaks. I read recently that while poverty is increasing, Americans of all backgrounds remain amongst the most generous and charitably minded, two sobering thoughts during this season.
Until Next Time...
11 comments:
i am glad the generousity is still there...there are many that need it this time of year and we can not rely on the state or government to meet our needs...
The poor will always give...shame on governments that they need to.
What lovely far sighted behaviour. I've never done that to a public library - though have done to school libraries.
Decent libraries - or library buses of which I am a fan - are a sign of a civilised society.
What an amazing gift. I worked at a library for a year and met some wonderful people who were more than delighted with donations. A lovely post and a poignant reminder!
According to my own research for a magazine story in my small California town, our charities that provide food and shelter assistance are funded mainly by people who don't have much money themselves, not the rich. Those charities are seeing their donors turn into their clients for the third year in a row, and although their cash donations are dwindling, volunteer hours are even up a little as people give back the only thing they have, their time.
"...the book was used by one of the workers to keep table legs from the wet floor..."
WHAT?!
It's a cool idea to buy and donate a book to the library. I didn't even know that was possible.
I'm a big Dickens fan e, but about once a year I really need a good dollop of jane Austen.
Sense and Sensibility is my favourite,
SP
Noble of you to donate your new purchase to a system where books go missing. I hope yours will remain in the system for decades! Jane Austen should be required reading for all high school students, but I'm afraid many will never know her.
Good for you donating a book to the library. I bet not many people think of doing that, though they could probably easily afford a few dollars. Yes, the usual situation of the poorest and public services like libraries being squeezed yet more while the wealthy lose track of how many millions they've got.
What a lovely generous gesture. Our reading group which has just closed collected subs and donated money to charities- we tried to find charities related to books and education. Your donation is much more personal.
I have left comments on the VBC (but cannot post there so have made the post on my blog).
So are we reading Jane Austen next- I do hope so! What a treat- I have not read any for ages. One of my patients visited Chatsworth house in Derbyshire (on which Pemberley is though to have been based) and brought me back a fridge magnet for my vaccine fridge- with a picture of Colin's Firth's Darcy and the quotation'my real purpose was to see you and to judge, if I could, whether I might ever hope to make you love me'. Needless to say the magnet has pride of place!
We were made to read Pride and Prejudice when I was at university. I plodded through it and, I'm afraid, it didn't tickle my fancy at all. I don't have a misogynistic bone in my body, but I think JA is very much a female taste. I opted more for Henry Fielding in that course, for all the obvious reasons.
Post a Comment