Thursday, December 8, 2011

Any Chess Players Out There?

My computer came with an electronic chess board. I never really learned to play as none of my childhood friends enjoyed the game. The closest I came was when my by now long deceased cousin attempted to teach me the moves of each piece on the board. That was my first and last lesson. He was eleven and I was sixteen. That was a lifetime ago.

What brought this to mind, in addition to the electronic game on this iMac, was a French film. Entitled Queen to Play in English and La Joueuse in France, it was released in the U.S. earlier this year and features   wonderful performances by Kevin Kline and Sandrine Bonnaire.  Bonnaire plays a maid in a small Corsican hotel who chances upon a couple, played by Kline and Jennifer Beals, engrossed in a game of chess. At first startled to find them on the balcony of their room when she comes to clean, Bonnaire's character, Helene, finds herself entranced by the intensity she witnesses. She soon asks Kline, who plays an irascible American doctor, to help her learn the game. While he does so rather begrudgingly at the start, Kline's character soon realises Helene's quiet intelligence, something that isn't given much notice in her life as a housewife and mother or as a hotel cleaner.

The transformation that occurs in Helene begins subtly enough. She purchases a chess set and, unable to interest either her husband or daughter in the game, begins playing against herself after her family has gone to bed at night. Quickly reaching the limit of what she can learn on her own, She enlists Kline's assistance and having faced familial resistance to her increasing fascination with chess, meets with him secretly. As her prowess with the game increases, Kline is soon outclassed and he sends her to a colleague who is a master at competitive chess. She applies to play competitively and is accepted. The film concludes with Helene winning all the rounds with more experienced players than she and emerging as a champion. Her family and friends, who initially see chess as simply a silly game, come to realise the grueling nature of the matches and the mental effort and strategy necessary to complete competition. For herself, Helene begins to radiate a newly-found confidence and pride of accomplishment.  This little gem of a film is also the debut for director Caroline Bottaro and is now available on DVD.

While I don't see myself becoming a chess champion, the allure Helene experienced exists for me as well, so much so, in fact, that I am seeking a teacher or a club for adults.

Until Next Time...

10 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice...i learned at an early age...i only remember the allure being an all wood set that a friend had and how cool it looked...i got the same set that year for christmas...still have it...

Sub Radar (Mike) said...

I play chess, although I'm pretty horrible at it. I need to look into strategies and stuff like that.

Steve Reed said...

I've never heard of that film, but it sounds great. I'll try to check it out!

I used to play chess with other neighborhood kids when I was little, but I probably haven't played it since middle school. I'm not really a board game person, generally speaking.

French Fancy... said...

I cannot play chess; my dad tried to teach me and so did two exes. Fail. I do want to search out this film though. As always much love to you. I love this new look of yours. xx

the fly in the web said...

My father taught me and I still enjoy playing, but rarely find anyone interested, so I'm really rusty...you'll love it!

Mike said...

I haven't played in a long time, but it is a GREAT game!

Shaheen said...

I'm not a chess player at all, my husband is and quite competitive. i have to admit he tried to teach me once and I just wasn't interested. I think I should try and learn, stretch my brain a bit more. You've also intro'd me to this movie, I am interested not to watch it. So I will keep my eyes out for it on DVD.

Happy learning and becoming a strategy queen.

nick said...

Unusual theme for a film. I've never come across it. I like the way discovering her talent for chess gives her a new confidence and sense of accomplishment. I play chess, not particularly well but well enough to be a good match for Jenny. We've got a lovely glass chess board and pieces, given to us by some friends many years ago.

Barbara said...

My son has been passionate about chess since he was 10 years old. He now has a rating of 2100+ and plays in an international online chess club.

From what I know of you, you have a mind well suited to the game. It requires a lot of strategizing by thinking at least 3 moves ahead at all times. Just as I lack the discipline to remember the cards played in bridge, I don't do well at the thinking ahead bit either.

Good luck at your new adventure. It could be quite rewarding.

Maria said...

I learned to play chess in college and soon was regularly beating my dorm mate (who is now my partner!)...

I taught my daughter to play when she was 8. She hasn't beaten me yet (and I refuse to let her win), but she has gotten very, very close....