Someone asked me recently whether there was anything about my life that I would change. Short of a snappy comeback meant to intrigue, this is not a question I can answer easily or adequately in two minutes or less.
Regular readers to this blog know that the last couple of years have been life-altering. I have had to adapt to living the larger portion of my life from a chair. Number one on my list would be stronger enforcement of access and accessibility standards in public places. Number two would be better transportation options for persons with disabilities. We do have a paratransit service here, but some cities actually run the service 24/7, making it easier for those who can to work or take part in community life. I would point out that a job or regular participation in one's community are not luxuries. These are vital economic and psychological functions.
On a more personal note, I've seen more friends loose jobs to downsizing. The crash of housing markets which were once highly inflated have left people "upside down" as they pay more in mortgage balances than these properties are worth while others can barely keep the rent covered. Admittedly, this is not my maternal grandparents' Depression, but a malaise that appears farther reaching with consequences many are apparently at a loss to understand.
I am not optimistic that things will somehow shift, returning us to more affluent circumstances. I do, however, believe that all of us had better learn to live within current limits because it does not appear that those limitations, from clueless self serving politicians to corporate bosses and bean counters, are not going anywhere.
What this means in practical terms to me is a lot of "no," as in no television, no cable bill, no car or car insurance, no far-flung holidays or travel, no high priced entertainment, no clothing budget, no job, no big phone bills, no expensive flat renovations to make my small piece of home more wheelchair friendly.
I am fortunate that the little suburban box I inhabit is paid off, though the monthly maintenance fees continue to climb. While I am not elderly, I now must live on a fixed income and worry about the future of Social Security. This isn't the life I aspired to, nor is it one most highly educated professionals, a group which includes me and most of those with whom I associate, would find themselves living but for factors largely beyond our control.
That said, there are still many things for which I am grateful: Educating myself by reading every book on personal finance for women in my local library, finding the right people when a particular problem needs seeing to, hearing from my congress person, my cats, friends and friends of friends, cookbooks since I eat in more often than out, bloggers from around the globe, and strangers on the bus who pass along tidbits of information about community events or resources, the drivers who get me where I need to go and my favourite cabby as well as librarian friends and colleagues. These I would not change for all the money on the planet.
Until Next Time...
11 comments:
I was as intrigued by your label 'life in its hilarity' as I was by your post.
It seems to me you are making the adaptions very well- I am not sure I would be so philosphical. I think I would rant and rage against my circumstances. I am not sure I could cope if I couldn't literally 'run away'.
i hear you on this...you have sacrificed much...rather humbling when i think of what i might change honestly...
Brava to you for not saying you would prefer to have legs that worked better. I think about that all the time and wonder how different life might be if walking wasn't such an issue for me.
This is such a poignant post that must make everyone who reads it think long and hard about the question you raise.
What worries me is the cycle of governments unable to control the financial house of cards, impoverishing their taxpayers in their attempts to do so and then cutting the services essential for civilised life when the tax money runs dry.
I feel I appreciate the smile and chat from a chance meeting as as sure as hell governments don't smile or take an interest.
I fantasise about all sorts of things I could change in my life, but would the changes make my life better or worse? Impossible to say. At the end of the day, I guess you just have to make the most of whatever life you've been presented with, the disappointments as well as the pleasures.
There are certainly plenty of disappointments right now with the gloomy economic situation. Like you, I doubt if there'll be any return to prosperity and optimism any time soon.
yes, the land o'NO; we are residents here, but frankly it's intriguing. I think we've always been on the backside of doing well. I'm just glad I can make dinner out of a can of corn, a potato, and a chicken stock cube. And make it darn tasty
Cinnamon; I run better on wheels than legs!
Brian; I'm sure you watch your pennies, too!
Barbara; I empathise with your gait issues, but you seem to get around well and without pain, both of which are important.
Fly; I despair of our current congress and the right-wing that has taken over parties...I would leave if I could.
Nick; I don't fantasise, I find ways to do what I want to do.
Tut tut; That is a good skill to have.
Adaptation is the rule these days. I'm with you on cutting back and have been downsized 3 times in the past five years. Not fun I assure you but living on half the salary I once had is a challenge to say the least. As long as I can afford internet and a car I'll manage. I guess it helps us focus on the important things in life, friends, family, health and I'm lucky to live in a beautiful place even if I can't sell the damn thing. Glass half full and all that. I'm trying.
You've always adapted amazingly well to challenging circumstances, e. I'm not sure it's very productive to think about things in life we would change, unless they're really things we CAN change. But I guess it is natural.
I do get around, often not well and often not without pain. I am grateful for whatever mobility I have, even if it appears that I am lurching through life. Sometimes getting there is more important than how one does it.
Seems like you have a good perspective here, so that is good!
BTW, wanted to tell you that I am closing Hot Toast and Jam so thought you might enjoy its last post.
I will still be visiting just not as much (as if I have been that frequent anyway) as one might expect when hosting a personal blog, verses an art one.
Let me just say then, thank you for your support along the way and her's wishing you the best until we chat again.
Post a Comment