Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Long Way To Go Yet...

According to my wonderful stylist, I need at least fourteen inches of flowing tresses for a donation to Locks of Love. That means hair past my elbows. As you can see from today's appointment, I've a long way to grow yet. I'm not sure I'll have the patience, but I'm giving it my best. The current length is the longest my hair has been since my undergraduate days.   Locks of Love takes clean hair donations of ten inches or more and fabricates hair pieces for children and adults who've lost hair due to a variety of medical conditions. These do not fall off during sports or swimming and can be worn all the time. My
 mother lost her hair during chemotherapy, a traumatic experience. Though it was growing in again when she passed away, she shared her disdain for losing it and the fact that it did not feel or look the same when it grew back. I hope this donation will eliminate the trauma of hair loss for someone...

Until Next Time...

14 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice...i like the braid...and so cool that you are doing this...a good friend of mine just cut all his hair off after growing it out to donate...

Bruno Laliberté said...

a noble endeavor.
one I couldn't do as I shave my head.
Do they accept goatee hair?
just asking in case I'd change my mind and shave it, however unlikely this may sound...
:)~
HUGZ

Anonymous said...

Well done!

Your mother would be proud of you, and so am I.

SP

nick said...

Locks of Love is a great idea. I couldn't contribute, my hair is pretty short, but for those who get some hair back after losing it, it must be a real psychological boost. I didn't know today's hairpieces can be worn all the time, that's good too.

Alan Burnett said...

How fascinating. Now, can I persuade the Good Lady Wife to let me grow my hair long again in order to make a donation. Granted the resulting piece will be thin and almost white, but there will probably be someone out there who fits the bill.

On These Spindrift Pages - A journal of nature, thought, and the reflective life. said...

My dear e, your hair looks really nice on you. I think donating hair is such a good idea. I cut mine short back and side once every month. If one needs at least 14 inches to donate, I think my hair will be a bit too short. I'm thinking of you. With warm wishes, ASD x

karen said...

Hi E - was wondering about the hair growth!!

I like the DNA-type sculpture in the earlier post, and glad you are back after your trying two weeks! Good for that helpful friend of yours..

Steve Reed said...

E, I have NEVER seen you with long hair. This should be interesting! Bravo to you for making the effort.

The bike shed said...

And her's me thinking you were fair haired!

Keep on growing, in every good way.

Enchanted Oak said...

I guess this will be a long-term project, getting there one day at a time, patiently braiding your beautiful hair for that unknown person who will be blessed.

Megan said...

I'll have to go check that out. Will they take it if it's dyed? Probably not, I guess. Still going to check. Hope all is well with you!

Barbara said...

May your hair grow fast! I salute your intentions. Someone will be very lucky to get your locks!

I once heard that taking gelatin makes nails and hair grow fast, for what it's worth.

Anonymous said...

It's one of those good causes people rarely think of. Good for you.

Baino said...

Keep it up. I have a friend who's got hair down almost below his shoulder blades now and trying to convince him to get the snip. He donates his when he does. Good cause all round (although it looks pretty in a french braid)