Have any of you ever watched a stock plummet while others were holding their own or going up in value and wondered what was going on within the falling company's ranks?
Netflix, a favourite company of mine for the last seven years, has, I believe, shot itself in the foot, not once, but twice. The stock, which had soared to three hundred dollars per share in July, fell upon announcement of a sixty percent rise in the cost of subscriptions. Those of us with the unlimited higher end plans did not see as high an increase as did folks paying $7.99 per month.
Unfortunately, a sixty percent hike in any cost these days is likely to be met with extreme rancor, something Netflix CEO Reed Hastings and his team should have been able to predict. While he has since apologised for the way the announcement was handled, the change in pricing structure remains as company stock continues to fall. Additionally, however, while apologising to customers, Hastings also stated that the streaming of films and home shipment of DVD's are soon to be divided into separate entities, each with its own website, billing and customer service teams. What was once convenient and seamless for customers who enjoyed both services, is soon to become yet another bill and service requiring time and attention.
When one examines the situation, it is apparent that Hastings sees the market for mailing DVD's eventually shrinking in favour of streaming content. At present, Netflix supply of DVD's outstrips its available content for streaming. A look in stores, libraries and websites such as Amazon would indicate that while streaming is the next frontier in online entertainment, DVD sales and availability are like to remain viable for some time.
People continue to tighten their belts in response to rising expenses, lacklustre employment and competition for their entertainment dollars, making me wonder at yet another case of poor timing on the part of a company whose services I and many others once enjoyed.
The markets were up today. Despite this, Netflix stock continues to take a thrashing. I sold the few shares I had at 143 this morning. As of this writing, the stock is at 130...
Until Next Time...
9 comments:
oy glad you got out a little bit...i think they def shot themselves in the foot..honestly i never used netflix....
I'm glad to hear you solved your computer woes. You will LOVE your Apple. I've had Apples for years and I'll never buy a PC again.
I also love the pic of you in your cat specs. Awesome!
I suppose the Netflix guy figures the stock value of the streaming biz will be much higher without the encumbrance of the postal dinosaur, but it seems like the stock of the old Netflix will totally tank. So I'm not sure who benefits from this division, unless they ultimately want one company to be able to declare bankruptcy without harming the other.
I suspect that area of the market is so sensitive to technological changes firms have little or no control over. Even so, an ability to successfully manage price changes is a skill that any successful firm needs - and from what you say, a skill that Netflix does not have.
I've never used netflix, but it seems a rather stupid way to do things...
Hello everyone,
I have had Netflix for years rather than television and a cable charge as it is cheaper and I can watch what I like. Since I enjoy foreign films and some series from the UK which are not available here, it has been an ideal arrangement.
I will probably transfer to Quikster since the stuff I enjoy is still more often found on DVD.
It's about time a lot of corporations woke up to people's fiscal realities.
Interesting to see the way the entertainment industry is always changing and evolving. A pity that it had to go this way, as it did sound like an ideal arrangement for you!
Video and music are markets that are ripe for what economists call creative destruction. I think books and newspapers will last much longer in traditional form - but who knows really
well they lost me fore sure... after 6 months they have stopped accepting my prepaid mastercard... and i was only using the streaming service... i smell hul and itunes in front of me
any that have left netflic should go here and say they did:
http://netflixcommunity.ning.com/forum/topics/goodbye-netflix
Post a Comment