Monday, April 25, 2011

The Next Installment...

It wasn't until her mobile began bleating that she opened her eyes. The voice in her left ear, softly saying,"I'm calling regarding Nina Pankow"...

Jolted by the mention of her goddaughter, she struggled to make sense of the caller's messege...A lawyer advising that Carol and Bernie, friends since university days, had disappeared...the Coast Guard was looking for signs of their small plane...She needed to pick up eight-year-old Nina from school...

Her mind filled with images of the party she and Carol had planned for Nina's birthday the month before, their back garden full of kids waiting to eat a three-tiered chocolate castle Bernie had constructed.

She began dialing, hoping the housekeeper would answer. Just as the voicemail clicked on, the phone went dead...

10 comments:

the walking man said...

Short, terse and direct. Yes this fits the bill as it sits as a step in the4 stairway of suspense.

Kate Hanley said...

I'm totally hooked! What happens next?

the fly in the web said...

O.K. I'm on the edge of the seat...

Brian Miller said...

ooo...i really like this...great intrigue....

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello:
Who dunnit? That is what we wish to know. We are Following to find out!

Such an intriguing and eclectic blog. We are hooked.

nick said...

Foul play for sure. Whoever sabotaged the plane also snipped the phone cable. I hear Carol's ex-lover was a woman with a giant chip on her shoulder....

Shaheen said...

what happened next?!

Baino said...

Alright Miss E. Time you put all this together into one post and came over to 10thDom and had a crack at creative non fiction http://www.thetenthdaughterofmemory.blogspot.com . . .c'mon . . we need fresh meat!

Barbara said...

You've got me hooked!

But the phone -- foul play or needing a charge???

I Wonder Wye said...

sounds ominous....think I need a cuppa tea and a cat on my lap before the next installment...