Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Life Is About Choices...Or So I've Heard...

Scanning the thin list of jobs over a cup of tea, I realise that I am either out of the running because I can't climb ladders or lift 50 pounds, I'm without the required experience, I have too much experience and a degree which means to an employer that I will cost them more in salary and benefits, the town in which a single, but otherwise perfect position exists is small, lacks a hospital and has no discernible public transport beyond a snow plow...

Here are my choices...
~Laugh...Tomorrow is another day!
~Cry...Tomorrow is another day...
~Talk to an immigration attorney and really learn why other countries don't want people who literally roll through life as I must these days...
~Resume my former career despite the fact that most of my clients have either gone bankrupt, moved on or died...(I was not a call girl, a thief or a disaffected mortuary attendant)...
~Marry someone from another country...The odds of this are nil since I do not engage in Internet dating, most of my friends are happily divorced, gay or determined to remain single.
~Find a job in Canada or Israel, learn both French and Hebrew, adjust to snow or the sounds of gunfire or rockets in the distance, and hope for the best...
~Reprise my former status as a pundit, a situation likely to lead to raucous comments, fits of pique or uncontrolled laughter...

Until Next Time...

9 comments:

tut-tut said...

I hear you; my options are shrinking. You are not alone, if that is any consolation.

Brian Miller said...

i vote for laughter it always helps...although a good cry does too at times....

Megan said...

My current choice isn't on your list - but that's probably a good thing. Oh heck, there's no probably about it.

Baino said...

It's not just about disability, I'm 54 and everyone wants to interview me but when I get there 'not quite the right cultural fit'. Keep trying, they're out there, really.

nick said...

The under-qualified/ over-qualified conundrum is one I've often come across too. Is there anyone in the universe who actually has just the right number and type of qualifications? I doubt it.

Anonymous said...

You don't need to know French in most of Canada. And Vancouver doesn't get much in the way of snow.

- Jazz

the fly in the web said...

To have talent and experience and be prevented from earning a living with them is more than frustrating...it is unbearable.

Anonymous said...

Come to the west coast of Canada where snow is rare, as is extreme cold -- climate not too far off that of San Francisco's -- and French is very rarely heard. As a west coater I'd welcome you.

Subby said...

I am most determined to remain single...so far, so good ;)

Hugs to ya luv!