Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Some Things To Think About...

I must apologise for my recent absence here. I've been busy in the "real" world with various things, including a new archival project, some professional reading, home clearing and compiling a list of goals for 2011.

As you'll see, the goals are not lofty; practicality and cost-cutting figure prominently.

Go paperless---I am over run with paper and over dealing with piles of it. Now I just hope my computer holds out!

Cut transport costs---I'll shortly begin using my county's para transit service. The system is rule-heavy and does have some limitations, but if I can use it for my more frequent trips, I stand to save some money which I can divert for other purposes.

Download and use Skype---Now all I need are some decent headphones!

Up my intake of fruit and veg and cook and freeze meals so that I always have healthy food and don't rely on take-aways or frozen dinners. This is forcing me to re-acquaint myself with recipes and cook books gone a bit dusty from disuse. Thanks to wonderful bloggers for sharing their recipes!

Increase the intensity of my fitness regime---I've surpassed 150 crunches almost daily, increased the weight and reps on the machines and continued the necessary stretches which increase flexibility and keep my low back pain free. In the spring and summer, I'll resume swims, aiming for three  per week as rain allows.

On the professional front, I'll stay busy at the library and begin reading the required bibliography for the Archivist's Certification Examination. I'm not sure this is the most practical of choices for someone in my situation, but there do appear to be more jobs in this arena than there are for librarians at present. Though librarianship itself is a highly adaptive and varied field, budget cuts and shortfalls have curtailed opportunities for many.

I've translated some conference materials and the language bug has bitten again. I'll let you know where that leads.

In the meantime, I've got to find out if the charger purchased with the re-chargeable batteries for my camera actually works. No little amber lights appear when it is plugged in, and I've tried the batteries every which way...

Thanks to those of you who've graced me with reading suggestions. They were all great and have been saved. I'm attempting three at present and have another six from the public library I visited today. I do plan to blog again and fix the blog roll this weekend.

Until Then...

13 comments:

the walking man said...

Just remember to not read and swim at the same time. Sounds like a woman with a plan to me.

Brian Miller said...

nice...i think those goals are not only healthy for you but for the earth as well...

the fly in the web said...

As there are just two of us I cook in bulk and freeze portions...economical on gas and so handy when I don't feel like cooking.

There is a Costa Rican recipe site on my blog roll...he has some super bits and pieces if you'd like to take a look.

nick said...

As you say, all very practical objectives. Hope you make progress on all fronts! Good that you're aiming at healthier food and fewer instant meals. It's sometimes hard to resist frozen pizza out of sheer laziness!

Kate Hanley said...

Great goals. I, too, want to cook meals and freeze them for my family but find it difficult to figure out which ones are good for freezing and also planning ahead for the cooking time to do so. Good luck with it and if you find any good recipes, do share!

Jazz said...

Wow, I'm impressed by your list. I haven't even managed to make a list of resolutions to not keep.

PS: You really should open your blog to posters other than Blogger. I have to comment under my defunct Blogger identity since I can't comment on my Wordpress one.

Baino said...

Well start as you mean to go on although I'm in awe of 150 crunches! All I can manage is a brisk walk and 36 reps with the dumbells GAH. No wonder the weight loss is slow.

On These Spindrift Pages - A journal of nature, thought, and the reflective life. said...

My dear, you are so well organised. I'm impressed. I like the idea of learning how to use SKYPE. I need to learn that as well becasue most of my friends now are working in foregin countries.

The bike shed said...

You should not apologise for being 'busy in the real world.'

Good luck with all your reading - just wish I had more time - in whatever world; work, home, cyber...

Anonymous said...

It's good to have plans e!See you soon :)

Megan said...

All good things!

Barbara said...

I love your goals. The only one missing seems to be "have spontaneous fun on a regular basis"! :)

Happy new year! It sounds like you are well on our way to meeting your objectives for 2011.

Mary Witzl said...

Those are great goals. Swimming and walking are great exercise modes for writers because you can plot while you're doing them.

Yay for you for getting back into cooking! If you want more easy, healthy recipes, I've got some. A friend compiled a list of them for her son when he went off to university. I gave the same list to my daughter...and she must have lost it because she seems to live on fruit, tinned beans and toast.