Saturday, January 1, 2011

First Dinner 2011 At Chez Moi...


It was quiet here today; all the revelers who were discharging bottle rockets and fireworks until the sun rose eventually made their way home to bed. Even the resident felines, who never ignore their meal schedule, failed to stir for breakfast. I'm almost certain they would have slept straight through dinner but for the clatter and aromas coming from la cuisine.

It was a matter of what was in the cupboards and what was fresh in the refrigerator before it dawned on me that my mother always swore that in the south people usually eat black-eyed peas for luck at the new year, a tradition we never observed during my childhood near the equator.

You can see the results above; Fresh, steamed greens with a hint of garlic, a small, plump tomato garnished with cracked peppercorns and some rice with seasoned black-eyed peas.

In a nod to elegance, this repast sits atop a Limoges luncheon plate. I use them because they not only appeal to the eye, but to the waistline, as luncheon plates are smaller than the typical dinner plates used here.

Wishing you all a large dose of luck in 2011!

14 comments:

Everyday Goddess said...

a very elegant dinner. wonderful to start the new year off in style.

and we believe in the black eyed peas for a first meal too. good luck to you too!

the fly in the web said...

So you too eat from Limoges!
Super for keeping food hot,

Val said...

black eyed peas eh? i have never heard of this but it looks so good! they also make good music - the band that is :) how do you cook the peas ? soak for 24hrs and then boil? and what seasoning. I would like to try it. happy new year x

the walking man said...

Where was the cornbread? Can't have black-eyed peas without cornbread!

nick said...

A bit of improvising now and again is essential. Improvised meals often turn out to be tastier than the old favourites.

I hope you have lots of luck too in 2011!

Baino said...

Aww that's a nice tradition. Not sure we have one related to food but I managed a dozen oysters and some prawns which were rather delish. I'd love to know what 'greens' actually are?

e said...

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your comments.

Everyday Goddess: Not the most elegant I've managed, but fresh and good anyway. I hope this year is good for us all.

Fly: I didn't know that about Limoges, thanks.

Val: I'll leave information on your blog regarding peas.

Walking Man: I don't have a recipe for that...do you?

Nick: Thanks! I think we all need a bit of luck at this point.

Baino: The greens were fresh collard greens.

Jazz said...

Mmmm that looks lovely. Could I have the leftovers please?

Barbara said...

Looks elegant and delicious! I can only think of adding some good cornbread.

Happy 2011! Looks like you are off to a good start.

Megan said...

Good for you! My SIL always makes black-eyed peas on New Year's Day but I had never heard of it until she was around.

BEST wishes for 2011! I promise to be a more constant blog-friend this year! :)

Kate Hanley said...

Looks so good. I was wondering how to prepare black eyed peas as I had heard they are supposed to be eaten on New Year's Day for good luck. As for book recommendations, if you like novels I liked Crossing To Safety by Wallace Stegner (I think). I just finished the new Biography of Cleopatra by Susan Schiff (I think, it's too early in the morning to remember authors) and I'm reading the new Julia Child book of her letters to Avis Devoto. I'd highly recommend both. Happy new Year1

The bike shed said...

So that's what black eye peas are - they look delicious.

Good luck for the New Year

I Wonder Wye said...

we also had hoppen' john with rice -- hope it brings us better luck than last year. Blessings to you!

karen said...

Hi E, I'm here playing catch up again! I love the idea of black eyed peas for luck.. and your dinner looks gorgeous. Wishing you a truly wonderful 2011!!