In my previous post, I gave a bit of an introduction to my mother. As her only living child, I had no biological siblings growing up. My stepfather, however, had a son and daughter, both significantly older than I.
His daughter, who at twenty, met my mother and I for the first time, must have taken me to heart from the first. She kept in touch via letters and cards, and always sent me gifts at holidays and remembered my birthday each year, despite eventually being a busy mother of three.
When we met, I was a skinny six-year-old who loved being outside; My favourite place was the beach, and it was on one weekend outing that my soon-to-be step dad introduced a pretty blond on a visit from her university, to my mother and I.
We spent time walking the beach and swimming in the waves. The last thing I remember about that day was riding home in his convertible, top down, feeling the sun on my face. I had no idea then that I would one day be the one to break the news of her father's death to her; I also did not foresee announcing to him that she had called while he was out, and that he had a new granddaughter.
He also had a son, whom we saw only sporadically since we were three thousand miles beyond the U.S. in another part of the world. I first met him when he was in high school and came to visit his father during the summer. I was about ten then and watched a series of events unfold with what I now understand to be dismay.
Being old-school Army, my step dad took one look at his son, and carted him off to the nearest barber, protests notwithstanding. This did nothing to endear father to son, and the two months spent away from friends and his mother and adored stepfather, in an office working a summer job, only heightened festering dislike.
It never occurred to my stepfather that constant sarcasm and criticism would wear away whatever fragile bonds existed between he and his children, or that as adults they might repudiate his role in their lives entirely. He felt justified in demanding deference and appropriate behavior, as he had from troops, not realising that such strategies do not work in the home.
While my mother was aware of this and very nearly wore herself out trying to reason with her husband, the behaviour continued. In my teens, I too became the target of vicious humour, sometimes from both parents, and learned to lie low, keep quiet and avoid either one unless absolutely necessary. I became the resident bookworm. With no-one to help, I learnt the art of the poker face, all the while roiling inwardly.
My stepfather was at his best when travelling, something we did a lot of as a threesome. I saw Paris, Brussels, London and other cities in Europe, learnt about beetles indigenous to the tropical rain forest, tasted berries grown in volcanic soil and spent time helping kids in a Colombian hospital, none of which would have been possible without my stepfather.
When he turned his attention to impending retirement, my stepfather, who would have been happy to find a place abroad, faced stiff lipped expletives from his wife, and back to the States we came, I first to university and they to a condominium on the water.
Though we saw his adult children and grandchildren portions of the summers during my teens, relations remained strained. With his death in 1982 at 58, we were freed from walking on eggshells, but it would be many years until I grasped the depth of resentment and hurt that he left as a legacy in his children.
While I have long since forgiven each of my parents their mistakes, and still work daily on forgiving myself and others, apparently my stepfathers' children avoided any mention of him, no longer referring to him as dad, but only by name, and only when necessary.
This was evident in the recent obituary, written about his son, that omitted any mention of his father or any step sibling. While another might take offence, I see it as a sign of longstanding hurt, something that I cannot mend.
As I prepare for the impending burial of a fifty-six-year-old man who was sometimes as stubborn as his father but never as critical or mean, I marvel at ties and their duration and evolution over time and distance.
He leaves behind nieces, nephews, many friends and professional associates, a fiancee, sister, and brother-in-law, a great-niece and great-nephews a stepfather and lastly, a step sibling, all of whom will miss a nice guy.
I will stand with his sister, the pretty blond I met over forty years ago as a youngster, and say the Mourner's Kaddish with others as we say goodbye.
15 comments:
So sorry to hear of your Stepbrother's death Elizabeth. Fifty six is only two years older than me and far too young. I remember my father having a go at his sons for their long hair but it didn't last. Too much love in our house and we were very lucky to have had the parents we had. Then look at the travel you've done. All our experiences, good, bad, indifferent mould us into who we are.
My family's experience of my late father is a similar story of sarcasm, criticism and walking on eggshells. Also his rages, violence and self-righteousness. It did us all a lot of psychological damage that we have struggled to overcome. Typical that your mother "wore herself out trying to reason with her husband". Men like that are utterly stubborn and impervious to sensible advice.
Good that his son wasn't in the same mould but was altogether more likeable. And good that you also don't seem too damaged by your father's behaviour.
My father died the same year and he and I for different reasons had the same sort of relation you describe between your step father and his son.
Difference being I went back and took the whole relationship apart and at least i understand it now and don't have to carry that resentment around with me.
May your brother rest well in the house of his ancestors.
Sorry to hear about your stepbrother's passing. You have all my sympathy.
WOW, this is a really moving post, e. It is so sad to see parents who get so wrapped up in their lives taht they forget how to treat tehir children when growing up as indeed children, thier tender precious children. When I read such words as these:
"but it would be many years until I grasped the depth of resentment and hurt that he left as a legacy in his children."
my heart aches for all those who go through such things. I can;t imagine. Although U saw my father only Onega a year for a few weeks, I at least knew he loved me adn can;t recall a time, even now, even though we are so difernt where he even ever rasied his voice at me or snapped at me. Quite incredible really.
the other thing with that quoted bit is that this reminds me what I'm learning about loss that we so often mourn the primary loss but forget to say goodbye to eh all the others losses that come as a result. The tarnished memories adn lack of a real legacy to look up to being some here.
sorry about his passing...its tough processing those feelings once the person is gone as well...
It's so sad, isn't it, when families don't resolve their disputes? We never really appreciate the bonds we're forging or what our connections will lead us to when we first meet people. It's good that there will be some people who remember your stepbrother and mourn him, but what a shame that he lost all contact with his father.
Wow, what an amazing story. You can tell with how honestly you tell it that you are healed (or well into the process of healing). One of your lines "And work on forgiving my self and others." Really hit home with me. I have some family stuff I need to forgive in myself and my siblings. Thanks for this post.
Mr. Fly's mother died recently and family history ensured that the lessons learned by the three children of the marriage repeated the bitterness of the separation of the parents.
I'm really sorry for your loss and the fact I didn't not see your post earlier.Those are really nice memories,this can never be taken away from you.Much love.
A legacy of sadness. And you are the stronger for it.
I wish you the good parts of memory that elude in grief, and small moments of joy. Thank you for your post, which it brave and something I not yet had your courage in doing. Thank you for opening yourself up and letting me know you better.
I hope in their next life father and son will coexist more peacefully. What a shame for a child to be so alienated. I'm glad you are choosing to observe your step-brother's passing.
What a beautifully written essay on the unraveling ties that bind.
Sorry for your and your family's loss, E.
What a beautifully written remembrance about unraveling family ties.
Sorry for your and your family's loss.
Post a Comment