Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Theme Thursday: Hat



Photo Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons. Original Painting located in the National Gallery, Washington, D.C. By Johannes Vermeer, circa 1665-66.

A favourite of mine, Girl with a Red Hat, was painted in the latter part of Vermeer's career. Because he was not prolific, and not well known beyond Delft, Vermeer's reputation as one of the foremost painters of the Dutch Golden Age was only established with the re-discovery of his work in the 19th century and thereafter.

The Girl with the Red Hat emphasises the artist's use of layered colour, texture and his interest in and use of light. I've always been intrigued by the model as I am in another of Vermeer's works, The Girl with the Pearl Earring.

Though I like hats, I rarely wear them. I would wear the red hat depicted here if I could. Both the shape and texture are eye-popping, don't you think?

Happy Theme Thursday.

Until Next Time...

17 comments:

Rinkly Rimes said...

The use of light is always a feature of this artist and his models always have the warm look of real people.

Brian Miller said...

very nice...i admire artist that can layer so well...happy tt!

Barbara said...

Vermeer was just one more artist who struggled mightily during his lifetime, only to become famous after his death. He agonized over his paintings to the extent that they took months to produce, thereby depriving him of income. I absolutely love the facial expressions and the colors in his works.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful red hat! The model does have a sweet, innocent face.

Unknown said...

It is indeed a great piece here.
Thank you for sharing.

Happy Thursday!

hugs

shakira

HOPE FOR GREAT LAKES NOW!

THEME THURSDAY-HATS

Anonymous said...

Yes!This painting is also on the list of ones to be seen ( according to the book I'm reading ). There are a few of Vermeer's in there ( including Girl with a Pearl Earring )...most excellent take and art history lesson, e :)

nick said...

Quite a hat. A most unusual colour, looks a bit like a fancy hairdo! I don't often see women in hats these days, I think they like to show off their hairdos without any distraction.

French Fancy... said...

What a fabulous hat. Imagine how much space they would have needed back then for all the big dresses and hats.

Mary Witzl said...

I love Vermeer's use of light and the wonderful expressions on his subjects' faces -- the way they always look as though you've just surprised them. It's heartbreaking that he worked so hard during his lifetime, but only earned this fame posthumously.

On my screen, that hat looks like the most outrageous hairstyle: vertical, compressed, spread-out dreadlocks. But the expression on her face is timeless.

Betsy Brock said...

that painting is a classic.

You'd certainly get noticed wearing that today! :)

Baino said...

I love the Girl with the Pearl Earring particularly, the textures are so lovely. This one looks like a cardinal's hat! Can't wait to stare at masterpieces like these in September!

Christine H. said...

A stunning painting. Fabulous use of light and a very expressive hat.

I Wonder Wye said...

Vermeer was a genius. It was interesting to me that he inspired so many fakes of his work, since a true Vermeer seems so obviously brilliant and hard to emulate. I like hats but not hat-head, so rarely wear them.....I will post more about the workshop this week.....you take care of yourself.....

lettuce said...

isn't the light wonderful?

I can't help wondering how this hat stayed on - hat pins maybe? but it does look wonderful

karen said...

Beautiful "hat" choice for Theme Thursday. I love the light...

Sorry I've been away from all blogs for a while, but I'm enjoying catching up on them all, slowly :) Weekend greetings to you!

Enchanted Oak said...

The hat is incredible. I'm glad you chose Vermeer for your theme. He's one of my favorites because of the beautiful work he does with expression, with light and shadow, with texture. It made me smile that you would wear that hat.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

vermeer was such a master of light and shadow.

i wonder if this painting inspired the red hat ladies!! hee hee.