








One of my frequent commentors requested more information on my California trip.
Having shown you some of the Mojave and a shot or two from a beautiful mountaintop restaurant in Orange County known as Las Brisas, the rest may seem a bit anti-climactic by comparison.
The same friends who treated me to a fabulous breakfast at Las Brisas also took in an exhibition of Latin American artists at the Bowers Museum, a gem of a place I've visited several times. Check out http://www.bowers.org for further information.
While at the museum, we spotted an equally intriguing exhibit of photographs of masks and tribal life in New Guinea. Though I could not photograph the exhibits, I did purchase a book for one, and take some pictures of the museum's outer Asian garden and hall.
The garden, at the museum entrance, contains a variety of sculpture, trees, manicured areas and fountains. The mural, just inside, depicts elements of all of the current exhibitions. The totum pole was snapped for the fun of it.
The weekend capped off with a small, very belated birthday gathering at stepsister's for me. Several friends came, and the menu featured fish tacos and a decadent chocolate trifle.
Though I was disappointed at the unavailability of tickets for South Coast Repertory's Ordinary Days, I did see two films, Blind Side, with Sandra Bullock, and Young Victoria, with Emily Blunt. Of the two, I would recommend Young Victoria to those who like well acted, lavishly costumed period pieces. If you think politics are bad now, they were no less so in Victoria's lifetime.
The heart-warming true story of a boy rescued from poverty and a probable life of crime is a great catch when it comes out on DVD.
Other than the cinema, I also spent time sightseeing and visiting Aliso beach, albeit briefly.
Monday found me enjoying a picnic at Orange County Regional Park before returning to pack for the flight back. The horses and ponies pictured here are available for hire.
14 comments:
nice. love the sculpture pics!
Great snaps e! I'll have to go check that link. Really diggin' the water sculpture and I like that totem. Ta much for sharing of your trip :)
The warm weather alone looks awfully appealing to me just about now as we dig out from more snow.
I'm glad you had such a good time and were able to see old and new friends.
e: I feel as though you are teasing me with the continua posts filled with beautiful photos of warm sunny climes and palm trees and beautiful sculptures... But then I get drawn deeper in to each picture... and I'm there... and I'm warm...
and I feel as though I've had a vacation myself. Thanks for sharing! x
Oh I really like those specially..all actually!Have a nice day!:)
Excellent. The beaches are very reminiscent of our north Coast of NSW and it's weird about NG and Australian aboriginal art. Quite often it's the only exhibits that you can't photograph. I thought for cultural reasons but was told by the Art Gallery of NSW minders that it's because the Chinese pinch their designs and breach their copyright. So here, you can photograph anything in a gallery except the papuan and aboriginal designs.
I hadn't even heard of Young Victoria. It's on the must see list now. I really enjoyed the photos!
I love the beaches there too. Con't you just love CA? I know I do.
that surf! how lovely, makes me long for summer holidays.
and the water fountain/sculpture is lovely.
great pics, E.
"If you think politics are bad now, they were no less so in Victoria's lifetime."
Thank you! I'm not the only one!
;)
Yeesh... in my haste to display glee at your revelation, I forgot to tell my story about that museum!
I guess it's not much of a story... got into some trouble there as a little kid. But for some reason I thought it had been closed. Glad to learn that it was not.
Amazing photo's
I wish I was there now :-)
I miss the beach !!!
(@^.^@)
I love the palms, and those fountains. A girl can dream, can't she?
I'm glad you had a lovely time. Going to see An Education this week. It's part of the local Independent Film series here.
Cookie recipe you asked for is posted today!
Ahh, warm ish sea breezes adn sad...wantin gsome of that presently, in fact.
Thanks for your somment on the mews, btw, e, good point that. I suppose it's small for the whopping million plus (Sterling) price tag!! Yes,I know all about living in small spaces. My family of 5 lived in an 800 sq. ft. apartment for 3 years. Fun, let me tell you.
Post a Comment