If any of you read Baino's post from Reuters spoofing the Nobel Prizes for various things and had taken a bit of a hint, you might have realised that the postcard is from Stockholm, Sweden.
It depicts the hall in which the Nobel Prizes are awarded. The Golden Hall as it is known is created from mosaic pieces in 23 karat gold cast in glass and each piece is the size of a finger nail.
The artist for the mosaic, as noted on the card, is Einar Forseth (1892-1988). While the Golden Hall may be his best known work, Forseth is also recognised for alter pieces, murals, sketches, stained glass windows, wall and ceiling paintings and for composing and decorating porcelain dinnerware. The Golden Hall was completed in 1923.
Those interested can find a larger photograph of the Golden Hall at: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Golden_hall.jpg/.
While Otin's guess was perhaps the funniest, Val's comment that it looks like a mosaic is spot on. My thanks to all of you who stopped by. The postcard dates from 1970 and was sent to me by my parents.
9 comments:
I knew that. HA! Who'm I kiddin' e? Pretty good mosaic and neat piece of mail kept all these years :) Happy Sunday to ya!
It's a beautiful postcard. Hope all is well!
interesting! i first thought middle east, then the figure looked greco-roman - Sweden - hmm wouldnt have guessed that :-)
Wow, thanks for revealing the mystery! I did notice the name of the jpg file was Nobel70, so figured a swedish connection, which didn't seem to fit with the subject matter, so I gave up pretty easily! (didn't read Baino's post though!)It really is a stunning mosaic, and how amazing to still have your postcard from 1970!
Interesting! I had no idea where it was -- I thought maybe Rome? But I'd never have guessed Sweden!
It's great that you saved all these postcards from childhood.
(Word verification: "ovedose." Yikes!)
Thanks to those of you who played along...I believe that the artist included prominent figures from history in this creation, but I will need to do further research to confirm this.
I have additional postcards and letters besides this one.
Well I could have taken a wild guess but didn't want to spoil it for the others. Not quite what we think of as Swedish art and not an alun key in sight! I have a few postcards tucked away as well. I really must digitise them one of these days.
I haven't heard of any of this stuff and I consider myself pretty well read so thanks for the info!! Clever blog to include that postcard.
Thanks Baino and Mr. Toast Aka ...mmm..., for visiting. I hope Mr. Toast won't be a stranger...
Post a Comment